Saturday, January 16, 2010

What a difference a pound makes - Sad reprise

So here I am, flushed with exercise, just from the shower where I have my daily weigh-in. All week, I've felt like I was dieting. I plannned my eating, logged every bite that passed my lips, checked in with this my diet buddy, gave myself credit for the good stuff and forgave myself for the bad stuff, and really really upped the activity. So imagine my surprise this morning to see the exact same number as on Sunday!  I thought I was peeing like a banshee this morning so I truly expected it to be down. (I believe that water is responsible for daily fluctuations and I know sometimes I'm losing fat but changing it to water and then the weight comes flooding off all at once.)

Here's my weekly weight fluctuation (from Sunday's base)
Sunday ...... 0.0
Monday.....-0.5
Tuesday.....-1.5
Wednesday-1.5
Thursday....-1.0
Friday  ......-0.5
Saturday ....0.0

So did I start adding water in the middle of the week?  The exercise was all week long, with none on Tues or Thursday. The most number of calories I ate was 1650, on Thursday. I should have burned more calories every day than I ate - including Thursday. So what's up?  My discouragement is almost like a physical blow. I am going to shake it off here, but I let me dwell in the feeling for just a moment.... OK. I'm back.

I can control my exercise and I can control my eating. I cannot control my weight.  Remind me of that constantly.  Exercise is everything, and I am exercising away.  Reward myself for those things I can control, not those I can't. Give myself credit, and believe there will be a payoff eventually.

Do I make changes? Swear off red meat? Go strictly Atkins and give up my single evening treat? What I should not do is swear to make changes that will be impossible to live up to.  I can control what I eat, but I am cooking for and eating with others. Don't make the standard so high that only superwoman could live up to it.  Let me explore menu choices I can share with the family, and up the vegetable component of my non-family meals.

The single best thing is to keep up the exercise. If I have to choose between Fat and Fit versus Thin and Weak, clearly I want the fit.  My reasons for doing this emphasize the choice - go back and look at them.  And add to the reasons with pointed, specific reasons:

  • I have a cruise in March to the Caribbean. I'm not sure my summer clothes will fit me. I want to look ok for the cruise (there will be photos) more importantly, I want to have a good time on the ship and shore excursions - I want to feel the energy to do these things.

  • I can see my kayak from where I sit.  I want to be able to really enjoy the kayak.  Strength and flexibility are critical to being able to get out there and have fun.

Focus on what I can control, and control it. I feel good from the exercise, and if I ignored what I eat, I would still feel good from the exercise.  But I'm going to plan what I eat, and start to plan out the week. I want to introduce one new meal to the family that will be good for me. (Shrimp based? or Chicken-based?)  Since I have the night off, buy fixings for breakfast and lunch choices make-aheads, and then MAKE THEM.

Time to get moving out of the house.

No comments: