Sunday, January 3, 2010

The blog is my diet buddy

I got motivated today - in the hair salon - to start this blog because of the book I'm reading. I have a whole bookcase full of books about diet and exercise, and generally when I want to start a new diet I start with a trip to the bookstore.  The book I'm reading now I actually bought a year ago, but I lost a whole year while gaining 20 pounds last year. Maybe at some point I'll blog about that, but for now let's just say I had a lot going on in my life. My relationship with food hit new lows in the past year.

But now, I'm reading The Complete Beck Diet for Life, by Judith S. Beck.  It's based on Cognitive Behavior Therapy techniques, which I generally believe can be effective. I've read another book by the same author, The Beck Diet Solution, and it was helpful in general.  Key to the approach is to talk yourself happy. She has specific steps and lists and approaches to use to do this, involving 3x5 cards. I need to go higher tech.

One of the specific instructions is to get a diet buddy. I've never been able to do that. My previous weight loss success was largely a solitary venture. But I get the notion, so I've decided to use the blog as my buddy. Maybe someday I'll open the blog to others - try to call attention to it - solicit comments.  But right now, I'm just using the technology to help me organize my thoughts. And I'm writing as if for an audience. I have some specific people in mind that I might want to have read this some day.

No comments: