Wednesday, January 27, 2010

French Bread

Things are going well. I'm planning my eating, sticking to the plan, and starting to see some results on the scale. And so I lose my focus, and serve only meat, potatoes and bread for dinner - no vegetable at all.

I made some fresh Trader Joe's french bread into garlic bread. I knew it would be a hit, and I didn't make too much. However, two people didn't show up for dinner, and there was a surplus. The kids were chatty, and for a change we lingered at the table together. I had taken and eaten my one planned piece of bread already, but the rest was just sitting there...

Afterwards, I went to log it into my iPhone calorie tracker. Three pieces = 544 calories???? WTF? So I've kept looking, in my other iPhone calorie tracker. Three pieces = 284 calories??? Now on-line, several other sites, the consensus seems to be slightly over 100 calories per piece. I'm at the high end of my calorie target, but not off the charts. I can handle this - and I can learn a lesson from it.

Kim Bensen says "know before you go". Judith Beck says log your meals before you eat. If I'd had a number in my head as I sat there looking with the food in front of me, I don't know if I would have made a different choice. But I might have. I need to do more research, and I need to keep up my focus on planning.

No comments: