Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Working Out at Work

I went to the gym at work today, for the first time since the summer. I really craved the exercise, so I blocked my calendar and went. The workout was very good, very worthwhile, but it's weird to work out at work.

I'm an executive (officially), fairly high status in my building. It's fair to say there are a lot more people who know me than I know (especially since I am so name and face challenged). Working out for me is a very private activity. The iPod is a godsend, letting me go into my own world. The obvious earbuds give me an excuse for not talking.

What to wear for the workout is very easy - long sweatpants and an extra large t-shirt. I'm also all gadgeted up - heart rate monitor chest band, wrist display, bodybugg on the upper arm, and ipod shoved in any which way.

I went shortly before noon, and the gym was packed. I was very conscious of time, and gave myself 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer. Then, just as I was nearing the end, an aerobics class let out and several women headed towards the small locker room with its four shower stalls. I decided to stay put for another few minutes of cool down cycle.

My previous workouts there were in much slower periods so there was not much company in the locker room. After I went in to the locker room this time, I consciously observed what others did to catch the protocol:  shuck clothes down to underwear, wrap towel around you, shed underwear while keeping the towel in place, and off to the showers in shower shoes.  Problem for me: I brought a very small towel, and totally missed the shower shoes when packing the gym bag.  On the way back from the showers, I ran into my newest employee. Not a problem, but one of the reasons I won't go often.

What's the problem with seeing my employees? Not some "oh my gosh, they'll see me fat and out of shape and know I'm human". I strongly suspect they know that already. It's more that I have to acknowledge and interact with them, when I would rather be anonymous.There's also the fact that I have more work than I can handle, and I feel guilty to take the time to go to the gym.

Anyway, I managed my shower and was back at work in a reasonable period of time, wrapped in the self congratulatory glow of a great aerobic workout.  Plans for next time include more off peak timing, and a bigger towel.

No comments: