Friday, January 15, 2010

Is Sleep the Chicken or the Egg?

I already declared "exercise is everything" but sleep sure makes a big difference.  In theory, exercise will make you sleep better - but I have to say my personal experience rarely lives up to that. On the other hand this morning, I woke refreshed after a slug of a previous day, and I started with floor exercises and weights and suddenly found myself on the NT moving briskly - without really planning to! It was all a function of the good rest I had last night.

So I got to work a little early, well rested, and smug with exercise euphoria. My body has been feeling the good feeling of muscles being worked, and the good soreness that comes from a thorough workout. I know I like the feeling; I hope I can capture the feeling here and in my mind and use it to keep going.

1 comment:

KCF said...

Sleep is key for me, too. I finally figured this out after wondering why I lost weight in Italy (moons ago). I ate what I wanted when I wanted. I walked a ton, granted. But I also napped every day, was really well rested and didn't feel the need to eat to soothe my fatigue. I ate cause I was hungry and enjoyed it, but I found myself saying "no thanks" to food in a totally non-deprived, genuine way. back in every day life, I struggle with sleep deprivation. There are lots of other factors, but sleep is huge for me.