Monday, January 4, 2010

Invincibility is an illusion

I was feeling invulnerable today, and invincible. I could do anything. I was in command of my fate. I was in command of my stomach.  I was going to do whatever it took.

I felt like telling everybody, "It's a new year! It's a new me!".  I remembered what has happened in the past, but that was then, this is now.  I was surprised they couldn't see the difference just by looking at me.

Suddenly, after supper, I was sucker punched, metaphorically.  Suddenly, I hurt everywhere. I was so tired I could scarcely stand up. Quickly, I bid farewell to the fams and headed home to my sanctuary, where I gulped some tylenol and am sipping camomile tea while reflecting on what changed and why.

Perhaps it is a reaction to dinner? Was there something there that could trigger these feelings - a food allergy? Not particularly "diet" - bratwurst, tortellini, and ragu with parmesan. Do I have a problem with wheat? Am I coming down with the swine flu? Is it a body reaction to a sullen child making demands? Or is it just the after a carb meal lethargy?  For years, our friends giggled about the "Shellabarger flop" that always followed a heavy meal.

Who knows. I feel slightly better now - time or the tylenol kicking in. Very discouraging to have the momentum knocked out on January 4th.

No comments: