Sunday, January 24, 2010

Every Step a Slog

Today, every stride on the NordicTrak was an effort. It pretty much always starts that way, but usually five or ten minutes into it the music and the motion have taken me out of myself and I am just gliding along. Time on the NT is meditation time for me. My mind wanders, insights come, memories resurface, I get direction for the day.

Not today. I had to keep coming back to the gauge, making my legs move faster, keep working.

Now, I've got a pleased feeling for having stuck to it. My muscles are pleased, (though actually it's mostly my arms feeling good from the weights after the NT). If it was like this every day, I wouldn't be able to keep it up.

Often when it's so hard, it's an early warning of getting sick. At least one exercise book I've read would suggest it's a symptom of overtraining. That seems unlikely. The day is very grey and I'm very sensitive to sunlight. I felt pressed for time, and I had to fiddle with the monitor gadget on the NT for several minutes to get it to work. (I'm so numbers driven I couldn't imagine being on the NT without a sense of how hard and fast I'm going. Especially on a day like today when I can't just estimate.)

I did convince myself to take the time. I feel the time pressure, but if I can't make myself take the time on a weekend day when the schedule is self-imposed, when would I be able to do it? So yay me.


- iPhone uPdate

No comments: