Tuesday, December 14, 2010

So Very Close...

I really am motivated to make my goals - make my numbers - cross the finish line on the parameters I've set for myself.  And all it takes is some very small changes to get there. I actually have several tiers of targets. The set I'm talking about here are minimums. They are not very ambitious, but they are a starting place. If I make them, I am "moderately active" instead of "entirely sedentary" which is another way of saying "slug".

Yesterday I went over my "calories burned" by ONE!  I was seven minutes short on activity, and 900 steps short of my walking goals. So close! Sunday, I had a nice calorie total, I was short one minute of activity, but my steps were 40% below target. Today, I was pretty sure I was going to meet all three targets since I started at the gym. But, when I plugged in just now, I've got a little way to go. I'll make the calorie target (it takes around 40 calories an hour for me to be alive and there are two hours to go till midnight) and I'm over on the activity target, but I've got about 400 steps to go. I think I'll go start up the Wii and do something mildly interesting like run the obstacle course. I bet ten minutes of activity will get my 300 steps in.

Like I said, its a floor. But if it's a target, I should work towards it, and check in while I can do something about meeting it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and your numbers. On one hand I want to chew my arm off because this is RECORDKEEPING, but you also make a really good case that it's letting yourself go off the grid totally where disaster lies

and I agree - some consciousness helps a lot and your gadgets are nice nonemotional/judgmental measures that inspire you to do just a little bit more... good for you, N - just reading this I am less ready to just shrug and say "see you in january"

Liz

Nan S said...

January is way too far away and a lot of damage could be done - stay conscious without forgetting to enjoy the season!

But remember besides I actually worked as an accountant for a while and I loved it! Records are my life! But my magic devices automate a lot for me so its more understanding and analyzing them, less data entry.