Monday, September 27, 2010

My Reptile Brain

I've been pretty quiet here. I'm engaged with my real life and it's very hard to be introspective or self reflective when I'm go go going all the time. It also makes it harder to plan to eat well and make time for exercise- real exercise, not just errands and housework.

But there is something else going on here and I think it's rooted deep inside my reptile brain, down so far below my consciousness that it takes real time and effort to dig it out and shed some light on it to see what's going on.

It's Fall, and Winter is not far away, and we're all gonna die if we don't build a nest to crawl into, if we don't fatten up and slow down to conserve energy, and get about four months of sleep.

This happens to me every Fall, and this year it slammed into my energy and motivation like [insert truck-based metaphor here].

I had a really busy weekend, but what was I doing? Nesting, mostly. Decorating my girl's room, and sitting in a brief period of sunshine soaking it in, blinking lazily like a basilisk, instead of charging up and down the soccer sideline shouting encouragement as I usually do.

Accountability? That's for long days of sunshine, not for chill grey days when it's still dark when the alarm goes off and we're making dinner after sunset.

Exercise? The need to move? Fighting my pineal gland's imperative, I just had a stroll around the block. It's grey but not actively drizzling, and I think at least I got today's vitamin D. It was light enough for my glasses to darken, so I took them off to fight against the SAD. I'm better for stretching my legs, but have to do better still to get that downward trajectory on the scale.

- iPhone uPdate

1 comment: