Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Getting Back to a Routine

The summer was wonderful. I treated myself to several days off, and generally kept to a slower pace. I went absolutely nuts over fruit and it was very very good.  I was a regular at farmer's markets and got a few good vegetables that at least one or two others ate appreciatively.

But now school is in session, my big boy (the best eater) is gone, and the pace at work is insanely fast. The weather is as good as it gets - not too hot, sunny and low humidity - and I like to move. I'll be up before dawn for my exercise session. But I'm eating. And eating. And eating.

Time to get more into a routine.  I do have afternoon help, and she would start supper if I were organized enough to tell her what to do.  That's the rub. It's easy enough to get home and throw something together to eat, but it is at least 45 minutes from when I walk in till when we sit down, and that is late to be eating. So I need to figure out how to set things up to have her prepare something we can eat, or at least go through the first stages of getting it ready.  That means figuring it out in advance, and making sure we've actually got the ingredients. And making sure the kids have left the kitchen in a state where she can work.

Shopping for my house:  Small cups of cottage cheese (I don't eat yogurt, too sweet); frozen dinners (Chicken Tandoori with Spinach; Chicken Tikka Masala), Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage, Dove Dark Chocolates.  And a 20-pound bag of dog food.  No real food for my house; cooking and most social meals are over with the kids. Think about buying salads to take to work.

I'm not minding the change of seasons and the beginnings of the new school year. I just want things to calm down and feel more normal and routine. I think that will give me the space to manage my consumption better.

3 comments:

KCF said...

yeah on the fruit and farmers' market. as i recall, you weren't a big fruit buff. I think getting the p.m. help to get dinner going makes a ton of sense. This strategy may really be worth taking an hour or so to figure out -- a weeks' worth of meals typed up? -- something. Too good an idea to let pass up.

September is a transition and it sounds like you got a lot of pieces in order and are on the way to figuring the rest out.

Me too.

Anonymous said...

yes, end of fiscal year and lots of desk time make it hard to eat sensibly

the menu planning isn't that hard - you just have to accept that some weeks it's great recipes, and other weeks its grilled chicken, microwave baked potaoes and bagged salad - no one dies for les than exciting meals

see you after oct 1!

Liz

Nan S said...

Thanks, guys. You've got me thinking, it probably is worth the investment this weekend to think through and plan some dinners, and to write down what to do. Trust me, I'm not setting my standards too high - but I really do like everyone to come together for a few minutes at the table.