Saturday, September 11, 2010

Accountability: Just the Facts

I've not been posting much, and not writing much, because I've not wanted to face the facts. I've weighed myself every day, more or less, and thus maintained an awareness of how well I'm doing. But I needed to sit down and confront the reality, looking at not each individual data point, but what it tells me about trends and today.

Here's the big picture of my weight. The vertical bars are June of each year, and the horizontal ones are ten-pound marks:
It tells me I have lost weight this summer. My feeling was I was holding in place, but my memory of where I was at the beginning of the summer was hazy. It has been painfully slow, and not always in one direction, but overall, I'm better off now than I was.

Here is a better look at where I have been this year - in this one, the horizontal bars are five pounds apart:

I
















I am measurably and clearly lower than I was in June!  Not totally stalled, as I felt. However, August was a total bust - I'm where I was at the beginning of the month. The one saving grace is a new number showed up - my first glimpse of a whole pound lower.

Going back to the big picture and historical perspective, I have been here before. I was here in 2008, my last attempt to lose weight. I was here for a long time in 2004 and 2005, a holding action on my way back up after The Big Loss of 1998. It was 2003 - seven years ago - and before menopause for me. My life and my body have been through many changes since then.  Don't know if it was the hormones or what, but I feel like many things I knew about my body then are no longer true. Here's a thought, though - at that time, I was NOT doing a lot of conscious exercise. I bet I am stronger and fitter now than I was then.

Anyway, I'm going to be re-focusing myself on making this line go down. This week, I'm fixed on meal planning and logging all food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoe, science applied to dieting hits a new high... you have years of data!

nothing like facts for persuasive force...

Liz