Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Going for the Epic Win

I'm focused on doing a 5K race in April.  This is scary, since I don't know for a fact I've ever run a whole mile IN MY LIFE.  But today I began the training, following the regimen of one of the many "Couch to 5K" patterns on the web.  In the very first workout, I walked for 90 seconds and ran for a minute, and repeated for 25 minutes total (8 minutes of running is all), plus warm up and cool down.  All told, 33 minutes, exactly 2 miles, at an average of 3.8 mph. All the workouts are about 30 minutes, which means I'm expected to be going fast enough at the end to cover 5K in 30 minutes. I think I need to do some arithmetic later to figure out how fast that is.  I know it's faster than my current "run" - which is more of a jog at 5 mph.

I want my life to be effortless, or "friction-less" in current internet-speak.  I have a treadmill in my basement, and I can wander down to walk at any time, in my jammies and slippers if I want.  But to run takes some preparation: shoes and socks, a water bottle, a bra, my heart rate monitor, music.  This is so little, but I see it as potentially an obstacle at 5:30 in the morning.  We'll find out Friday, when I'm back to work.

For now, feeling good from this little bit of exertion. Excelsior!

1 comment:

KCF said...

I'm SO impressed!!!