Monday, December 5, 2011

Every Day is a Special Occasion

Tonight was a business dinner at Cuba Libre, a great new restaurant in DC. I decided to try to handle things right. Last night, I checked out their menu, and decided I would go with one of their fish and citrus items. I decided no drink and no dessert.

I tracked in the morning, and felt really good. But it was a *really* stressful day at work, full of active engagement with others on difficult issues. But the absolute worst and emotional part was witnessing the very public disgrace of a man I like and worked with for years.

So I arrive at the restaurant to find I had not scanned the drinks menu in advance-or, I should say, the mojito menu. They had over a dozen types, all sweetened with their pressed-in-the-restaurant-from-fresh-sugarcane and muddled with their actual Cuban mint. So I went with the classic, upgraded to their best rum. The first sip was heaven, and the last was nearly as good.

The other wrinkle was the other folks decided to go tapas-style, which actually worked out fine. More fried things than I would have gotten, but actually not a huge volume of food.

But then came dessert. I looked at the menu and said "no". Just "no". I felt really strong and powerful and virtuous. "Do you want to split the Fallen Chocolate Souffle?" asked the man next to me. "Sure" I said.

3 comments:

KCF said...

OMG, Nan. I'm so sorry, but I am laughing outloud The unseen pitfalls!!! Lessons learned, my friend, for next time!

Nan S said...

I don't regret the mojito at all. It was absolutely worth it. Dessert was good, not great, and I regretted it even as I ate it. Sigh... That's why I'm off to the gym well before sunrise. Gotta get me some activity points.

Liz said...

nicely written

agreed, a single good cocktail is a joy forever

was thinking of you when the news broke yesterday, no place but up for your poor workplace in 2012...

Liz