Sunday, August 22, 2010

Liking the Work

I'm not doing so great on the eating front right now, but I'm really liking getting strong. And I am getting strong. Thursday and Friday I walked and wanted to jog, wanted the release that comes from really pushing myself and breathing hard. Saturday I worked out with a trainer I hadn't seen in while and he complemented me on the progress I've made. (This was authentic - he had to up all the weights and settings from where he thought they should be.)  After the workout, I did an interval jog/walk on the treadmill for a long time, rocking out to a genius mix from iTunes, and getting the heart and lungs working flat out. Without the music, it wouldn't have happened at all, much less at the intensity I was able to keep up. I was almost reluctant to stop (went ten minutes longer than planned) but the press of the day was on me.

Here's a beautiful thing: I was done with the gym and workout before 10 am, but I kept busy all day. I parked once and walked to the farmers market and Whole Foods. I did housework and walked between houses with the dogs. I went shopping (I hate shopping) for four hours in three different shopping plazas and nine different stores and bought back-to-school somethings for everyone, and I didn't run out of energy until the very end.  I feel like I have a cold or allergies, sore throat and achy, but I've kept on my feet and moving all yesterday and today. How nice to feel like I want to move!  How nice to feel that I can move!

Now if I can just get that ice cream habit under control....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful thing. I don't think I believe in the exeriser's high, at least not for me, but I do like and believe in having more endurance.

Haven't swam in two weeks (worse than the blizzard!) and back to school shopping sent me to the couch whining.

I tip my hat to you!

Liz

KCF said...

Go, Nan, go!

My good intentions and motivation are fraying in these pre-road-trip days, but I'm hanging in there...