Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Fitness Fool!

I achieved my new high for calories in a day yesterday! And, I'm not even totally collapsed today. I think a secret to actually losing and keeping off the weight, and maintaining fitness, is the sustained, day-after-day effort. But, with that nod to sense, on to my single-minded focus of yesterday.

It started with the gym. I intended to get to the gym early to get my treadmill run in early, but these things don't always work out. Instead, I did some required chores around the house, with several up-and-down stairs to start to wake up my body. I got to the gym only a little bit early and found it not yet open! This is more of a "studio" - they only train up to three people at a time, so the trainers only show up when there is business. My appointment was the first of the day, so there was no reason for it to be open.

The day was not yet hot, so I set off briskly walking around the block in order to at least get moving. By the time I had completed the circle, the building was opened and I got a few minutes running in before my extraordinarily vigorous session with the trainer. Not only was a working various muscle groups to failure, I was doing so at a vigorous pace and often while standing on something shaky to have to simultaneously focus on balance. Then back on the treadmill with the iPod to run and rock out for another half hour before heading off for my sailing rendezvous.

Sailing is not generally an enormous amount of exercise. There is bustling around the boat to get things ready, to get out and raise the sails. But the kind of big boat sailing I do, in no particular hurry and often with no particular destination, once the sails are up, there isn't that much physical activity until its time to bundle everything back up again. Yesterday was no exception - not a lot of wind, so we just kind of hung out in the cockpit, under the shade of the bimini, talking away, drinking lots of water, and occasionally pushing or pulling on something.

When we got back and had the boat buttoned up, I went for my paddle. As it often does, the breeze came up after we were done sailing for the day (drat) and so I paddled vigorously into the wind to begin. In my little kayak, and the busy creek I paddle in, it pays to stick close to the shore and not venture out into the busy fairways. I kept my right hand to the shore, and followed the indentations and shoreline up past people's houses and docks, through three separate branches of the creek. I had the iPod in its waterproof case and kept up a steady rhythm with my paddle. It was clear and the sun was moving towards a low angle casting a yellowish light over everything. Not many people were out in their waterfront yards, though it was too early to see by lights if the houses were occupied. There was one skiff with two young boys in it, buzzing with their small outboard around the same branches I was and waving with big grins every time they passed me. (The age to operate a motorboat is 12 in Maryland - I'm guessing they had just made the cut this summer so it was still new and exciting to them.)

After following all of the tributaries to their sources, inspecting all the houses and boats as I passed, I headed up the eastern shore of the open creek towards the mouth into the Bay.  There was still a lot of traffic out - including a water skier behind a jetski. I cut across the main channel at a narrow point to minimize my exposure. The waves from the wakes were bigger than I have seen in my recreational kayak and I wasn't sure how it would do, but we seemed to bob fairly well without feeling like I was going to overbalance.

I was out for about an hour and half, paddling the whole time. My arms were tired, but not so much the rest of me, so I noodled on where to take a walk. I had brought my good walking shoes because there is a lovely park near my creek, but it was too close to dark for that to be really viable. If I went straight home, it would be pitch dark when I got there. I decided on the giant outlet mall that lies halfway between my boat and my house - it would have the added advantage of maybe being able to take care of a couple of errands, besides being an ok place to walk inside after dark (with air conditioning!).  

So that was my last stop. First I picked up some bedding for my college-bound kid and dropped it into the car. Then I just walked and walked. The place is enormous! It is a temple to consumerism as entertainment. For a brief time in my youth, a trip to the mall was an entertaining diversion in itself. Now, I avoid these places except when I have a specific mission to accomplish.  Between shopping and walking, I was there for nearly two hours, and I think a lot of that was just walking around the giant circle inside (with stores on both sides, movie theatres, and jousting on the premises. Since I had not had dinner, I stopped and got a decent hot dog in the food court. The stores were just closing up as I left.

On the drive home, I grew obsessed with ICE CREAM! Surely I deserved some after such an active day. I debated my delectable home-made and hand-dipped choices, but because it was late and I was tired, I just stopped at my supermarket as I passed it. They still have many lovely choices, and I drooled over the super-premium pints and quarts, thinking about the hot fudge sauce I have in my fridge. I ended up trading down to the individual serving one-dollar containers, concerned about portion control. I got two complementary flavors, and told myself I could have them both if I wanted. But by the time I had unpacked the car and sat down to eat, I could barely stay awake through one container.

I didn't check my magic device until this morning. But it is really good news:


BodyMedia FIT data for August 7, 2010 
Calories Burned - 3196 | Calories Consumed - 1240 | Total Activity - 4:31 | Moderate Activity - 4:04 | Vigorous Activity - 0:27 | Steps Taken - 15931 | Sleep Duration - 6:26 | Lying Down - 8:12 | Sleep Efficiency - 78%

Very nearly 3200 calories in the one day!  The next highest totals I've had were 2800, 2700, and 2600 - one day at those totals each. I mostly average around 2100.  So this was a big day.


Off to keep moving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow - very impressive

not very day, for sure, but to kick-start something ...you make it seem do-able

Nice!

Liz