Thursday, August 19, 2010

Conferences: The Anti-Exercise

I'm off in the woods of West Virginia with 200 of my colleagues. It's a gorgeous place, but a conference often ends up with 10 or 12 hours in a small crowded space, food brought in, no chance to move.  This one is no exception. All of the "free" time is spent with side meetings, getting things done fairly efficiently, but in that same small space. I handled the buffet ok - no ravioli or cannoli, though a small chocolate chip cookie captured me in the late afternoon doldrums.

When I finally broke free, I had exactly one hour before mandatory dinner. I finally found my room, through on some workout clothes and running shoes, and headed outdoors.  I found a marked path in the woods, and found my walk turning into a jog. 

How about that?  I originally wanted a walk, but when faced with an open path (and all alone, no colleagues in sight), it turns out what I really wanted was to up the intensity, breathe hard, and push myself. The terrain was rough, and at times under the trees was dark, so I walked more than I jogged. But I really really enjoyed breathing hard, pounding away, not thinking of anything but keeping one foot in front of another. And trying not to get lost in the woods.

I just had time to dash back into my room, splash myself under the shower, and don the work clothes again to go see the folks. I treated myself to a small beer, and then sadly ate all my dessert. Then back to my room for two hours of editing documents and sending emails (no cell coverage here, just a wire in the wall, so not so much multi-tasking during the day.) I'm setting the alarm for up early tomorrow to hit the trails again. Hooray for wanting to run!  When we finish up here, I intend to cross the river and go for a hike, perhaps at Antietam Battlefield, perhaps at Harper's Ferry. Yay for a couple of hours to get tired!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good God, wanting to run.

Way to go!

Liz