Sunday, July 18, 2010

Upping the intensity

My "calories burned" each day is below where I'd like it to be.  If I'm going to continue to have some ice cream from time to time, I've got to burn more. I also really want to feel strong and competent.  I'm not sure I'll be able to add a lot more time to my exercise routines, so I'm going to try to add intensity.

Yesterday, after working out with my trainer, I got on the treadmill and did intervals, alternating between a walk and a run. You set up the speeds in advance, and then a single button flips between them. I've discovered the least comfortable speed for me is about four miles per hour - not fast enough to break into a jog, but way too fast to walk comfortably on my short little legs.  So I alternated between 3.4 mpg for the walk, and 4.5 mph for the jog. I had on the iPod and it made all the difference to be able to keep going. I was actually having fun, and I stopped because of time rather than exhaustion. I had all the electronics on - BodyBugg, iPod, and heart rate monitor. When jogging, the heart rate quickly went up to 140, and when it kept climbing I would switch to the walk until I was back down to about 120 beats per minute.

Last night, I did another long brisk walk around town - about four miles in about 80 minutes. Not so very brisk, I guess, but way better than sitting on the couch. While walking, I can listen to books instead of music, so I clocked off the miles with several chapters of a biography.

I was up and out this morning, up to check on my boat and then to go kayaking. I have a waterproof bag for the iPod, where it plugs in inside the bag, and then there is a port to plug in headphones outside the bag.  So for the first time, I was able to listen to music while paddling. I went about four miles, pretty much paddling non-stop, for just under 90 mintues. I'm convinced the music is what kept me going - previous paddles have tended to be "paddle paddle glide, paddle paddle glide...." where this one was just paddling steadily. I averaged 2.6 knots (top speed 3.5 knots) which is quite respectable.  My heartrate stayed around 100 - it really is hard to get the heart going with just my arms.

I won't be able to maintain this level of exertion - I could be taking a walk right now, for example, but I'm instead sacked out here on the couch. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep well tonight.

I've got good food to take to work tomorrow, and dinner tomorrow planned. All this, just to blow through what appears to be my new set point (plateau) and get the needle moving back down.

No comments: