Saturday, July 31, 2010

Keeping the Intensity

My week was low energy, but last weekend and this weekend I've been trying to up the intensity and keep it going. Last week I ran intervals on the treadmill at the gym after my workout on Saturday, and then NordicTraked on Sunday morning.

The treadmill was terrific!  I had the iPod on, and I swapped between walking (about 3.4 mph) and jogging (at 5.5 mph).  I swapped between them based on my heartrate - when I got over 140, it was time to slow down. It was probably half and half overall.

I had a hard time going on the NT - I'm not sure why.  This used to be my favorite (actually only acceptable) aerobic machine. But I was slogging with the skis and just couldn't get a rhythm going.  I had the iPod plugged in on shuffle and kept hitting "skip" as songs came up. I was a good twenty minutes into it before finally I was moving easily, and my mind was free to wander instead of focusing on the effort to keep going. I got my time in, but it was never great.  I decided part of the difference was the treadmill motion - I had no choice but to keep going. With the NT, I had to motivate the motion, and adjust my speed. Just that much harder.

This morning was another great interval run on the treadmill. Both my walk and jog were faster - it just felt more natural to keep it going.  I ran for much more than half of the total time, and it took longer for the heart rate to get up high. I was truly invigorated after the session, and went off to the farmer's market filled with endorphins and smug self-satisfaction, which caused me to buy lots and lots of good fresh healthy foods.

1 comment:

KCF said...

Love me some smug endorphins.