Monday, April 5, 2010

Housework as Exercise

According to my magic calorie-expenditure wearable computing device, Saturday was my highest caloric expenditure since I started wearing it in early January. What I did all day Saturday was housework. My second highest day was Sunday - more housework. Hmmm.....

Actually, I started out Saturday at the gym for 45 minutes. But I also started Tuesday and Thursday at the gym, and Tuesday was a low day, since the rest of it was spent deskbound. So what gives with the very high readouts? What exactly did I do in those days?

I think the secret is I never sat down all day. Well, looking at Saturday's graph of activity, I may have had a seat from 10:00 to 10:15. Aside from that, I was on my feet the whole day. I wasn't cleaning so much as picking up, organizing, putting things away in their permanent place. And laundry. Lots and lots of laundry.  All of this involved lots and lots of stairs. I remember thinking, "No, I should go ahead and put this away in the right place in the basement right now while I have it in my hand. Yes, there are stairs, but some people pay to use a stairmaster. If I put this down somewhere other than its permanent right place, it'll stay there for weeks." I was a putter-away fiend for 48 hours. Not so much with actual cleaning, just picking up and sorting. A tiny bit of gardening, but mostly indoors.

And sleep? Did sleep follow the frenzy of activity? Not so much. I went to bed relatively early, but still had the middle of the night toss-and-turn.

Oh well, one frontier at a time. My twenty-four hour calories burned total for Saturday was 2598. I have to see if I can beat that this coming weekend. And see if I can get the week-day totals above 2000 consistently.  This why the device - the numbers are nice, but they are meant to be motivating.

No comments: