Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Another Day, Another Schooner

View of Camden from Mount Battie
Vacation in Maine continues to be delightful. Here in Camden, the weather has turned lovely, making up for lost time. We’ve had time to explore the fun little shops in town, admire the view from Mount Battie, explore the neighboring town of Rockland, and go on a short sail on a cute little historic schooner. 

My friends I’m traveling with have friends here. A young woman they have known all her life moved here permanently (from Manhattan) last year with her husband, and she now has a brand new, month-old, baby. Her parents, also from Manhattan, rented an AirBnB whole house for six weeks because of the baby. So there has been some visiting and socializing as well. 

Camden Harbor close up
There was a Fourth of July concert, moved to Monday because of the rain, in the Camden amphitheater, an outdoor grove by the harbor. Just a community thing, barefoot kids, sailor boys in sea boots and man buns, old folks like us, all dancing on the grass to well known tunes. 

So its all very chill. We’re walking - I’m getting 12,000+ steps a day - so I feel I deserve my daily ice cream in the afternoon and a beer or cocktail in the evening. I finished a book, but have several more stacked up on the kindle and not making a lot of progress on them. Which is good.

We had lobster rolls from a hot dog cart for lunch and pizza after the boat trip, so it’s not all big fancy food, but we’re definitely eating well!

Penobscot Bay from our boat ride

Today, on to Bar Harbor!

2 comments:

KCF said...

I think Maine is the next big thing. Honestly, it keeps popping up as a place to visit and a place to move to. I'm visiting New Gloucester in September for a wedding. We're staying an extra day or 2. So I'll have another Maine report, too! Sounds sooooo lovely, Nan. I'm so glad the weather shaped up!

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Nan, I am living vicariously through you, missing my Maine. We hope to get there sometime at the end of the summer, before school starts about Sept. 8. Sending love. Enjoy. Love Alice. I LOVE MOUNT BATTIE SO MUCH BUT MAYBE BAR HARBOR AND ACADIA NATIONAL PARK EVEN MORE.