Friday, July 9, 2021

Acadia

Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park. So very lovely!

There was an article today in The NY Times about how crowded the National Parks are. Apparently we were not the only people who decided to vacation domestically when foreign travel is still so uncertain. We are staying in a recently renovated classic motel on Main Street of Bar Harbor, the center of the crowds. I’ve been here twice before - once on the last family driving vacation we took the year my brother graduated from high school, and once for a few hours off a cruise ship going from Montreal to Boston. 

When I say the motel is a classic, I mean it is a long, two-story building set at a right angle to Main St., with room doors opening to the outside on both sides of the building and both levels. Office at the street end. Little outdoor splash pool.  I love the location, but had low expectations of the rooms, based on the 1950’s aspect of the outside. But it’s been recently renovated, and the interior, far from being mildewy, is stylish and functional. Nice big vanity in the bathroom to hold all my stuff, comfy sitting chair with footrest, enormous good bed, places to open suitcases that isn’t the bed. My travel friends booked it and did very well. I’m not thinking about the money!


We got reservations to drive up to the summit of Cadillac Mountain early in the morning, but not at sunrise. There were people there, but I wouldn’t describe it as crowded. We admired the view for a while, and returned to town for breakfast. We got used to a real breakfast in the Camden BnB, and there are cafes here to feed our habit.

Later, we rode the bus to the visitor center, and did a hike from right there. Again, there were plenty of people there, but not in a way that made it unpleasant. The hike we did, on a “carriage road” (gravel road closed to cars but open to bicycles) included a section labeled family friendly for biking, and sure enough, there were kids who are never quiet. But they were out there! Yay!

The route took us up to a series of ponds, most likely formed by beaver dams along a stream. I am drawn to intimate landscapes, and there were wild flowers, blooming water lilies, ripe low bush blueberries, creepy dead trees that had been flooded out. Very nice!


The way we did the hike also included sections with considerable elevation gains and losses. All told, it was over six miles, and I was done in by the end. My knees did not like the steep downhill at the end, and I took tiny little slow penguin steps, but I got there. And, recovery was quick, I feel fine now the next morning. 

Today is forecast very rainy as the remnants of TS Elsa pass by. We plan to do more park bus riding, and if its just drizzling, maybe try some short hikes. There is more I want to do and see - especially hiking - but I will be ready to come home soon.

2 comments:

Liz said...

This post is awarded extra points for a description like "tiny little slow penguin steps." Glad the news of crowds aexagerated and you can enjoy. So glad you have such a skill in nature photos, and that you share!
Liz

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Love this report, Nan. It always strikes me when they call them carriage roads, as I’ve never heard that anywhere else. Xo