Sunday, March 3, 2019

Back to Running

Running is very important to my self-image. I like it for itself. I know it brings terrific health benefits. But I really want to be able to describe myself as a runner. It brings a level of bad-assery to my self image that "active" doesn't provide. So, even though I am frustrated at the current lack of progress on my knee healing, I went for it on Saturday. It was the barest possible toe in the water at running, but it was definitely running and I'm glad.
Out and back course - and made it in 52 minutes!


There is a world-wide group of community running organizations, Parkrun, that has several local groups, the biggest and most convenient being in nearby College Park. Every single Saturday around the world they put on free, timed 5Ks. I went and volunteered once in December, right before the knee surgery, to scope it out. Every Saturday this year I've thought of going, but weather and busy-ness kept me from going. To be honest, the sad state of my recovery also kept me from going. I didn't want to be last. I wanted to be at least as fast as their 100-year-old walker! I set a target of an hour and fifteen minutes to do the 3.1 miles, in practice walks. I got there in practices, so it was a matter of scheduling.

When the stars finally aligned yesterday, I decided I was ready to try a tiny bit of running. There is nothing that gets my heart rate up like running, and I really want to get back to it. So, I set my fancy running watch to beep and vibrate intervals:  30 seconds of running, followed by 2 minutes of walking. Yes, you got that right - just 30 seconds of running at a time, followed by four times that of walking. I have read, on one of my facebook groups, about people starting at that low a level, though I never have before.

I felt slightly ridiculous as the first 30 second vibration hit my wrist and I slowed to a walk just 30 seconds after starting. But, the way intervals work, best to keep to them from the start. By a mile into it, it was starting to feel like this was the right level. At the halfway turn-around, it clearly was the right level. It was my goal to be able to still be doing a definite run - not walk - at the finish line, and I made it. I only skipped one run interval, right near the end, and it was because I was talking to some other women along the way.
You can see the effect of the intervals on my pace (above) and even more sharply on my heartrate (below)

So I'm on my way back!

My knee started hurting right away, in the first interval, and I wondered if I could do it. But, I kept going, and as time passed it didn't hurt worse and I was less focused on it. The doctor told me I wouldn't be injuring it, even if I did something that made it hurt, so I just kept going. It didn't hurt worse at the end than the beginning, and I don't think it was worse for the rest of the day, or today.

2 comments:

KCF said...

so impressed! I so know what you mean about identifying yourself for yourself. I remember a long time ago having a hard time identifying myself. Hi, I'm an editorial assistant, but I want to be an editor one day. Seemed like a mouthful. Then a guy I knew (actually a guy Mary knew through Michael back in the NYC days), at party simply introduced himself as "a writer". For the rest of my career, I introduced myself as that when asked...simple and I always was proud of it. Didn't matter if I was selling, didn't matter who I was writing for, or wanted to write for, just, I'm a writer. Honestly, when asked now, I don't say I'm a writer. I fumble with my title and what I do. I miss the clarity of that. Maybe I'll go back to it... food for thought! Def a hard left turn from your running story, but it made me think!

Liz said...

Agree how we identify ourselves to ourselves is huge, Nan, find you pretty badass no matter what your means of locomotion, but your constant striving for betterment is part of it. Congrats on toe-dipping!
Kim, I have been describing you as my writer friend in NYC for 35 years.
Lots of food for thought here!
Liz