Friday, February 10, 2017

Things I don't eat

Whether I'm focused on weight loss or just livin' my life, there are certain foods that are staples for many folks that I go months, sometimes years, without eating.  Since the mid-1990's, my thoughts about food have been away from the mainstream. There are no bad foods, and many folks consider these things I don't eat as healthy choices.  These are not foods I dislike because of how they taste or their texture. These are foods that I have learned are not worth it for me in terms of pleasure I get from eating them versus the way they make me feel shortly thereafter. I'm pleased I've been able to connect the delayed bad feelings with the immediate decision, so I'm making what feels to my gut check like the right choice, rather than an enforced restriction.

I eat these things sometimes, mostly when socializing, traveling, or eating out. They are not on my shopping list, unless I'll be having guests.

  • Orange juice, apple juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, lemonade.
  • Soda and diet soda.
  • Potato chips, corn chips, tortilla chips.
  • Crackers.
  • Doughnuts, danish, coffee cake, scones, muffins, bagels.
  • Oatmeal, breakfast cereal, granola.
  • White wine and red wine.
  • Sandwich bread, dinner rolls, baguettes, wraps, tortillas, naan.
  • French fries, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes.
  • Pasta, macaroni, ravioli, noodles.
  • White rice, sushi, rice pudding.
  • Pizza (I've never tried a cauliflower crust - doesn't that sound horrible?)
  • Any candy that isn't good chocolate.
Giving these things up has not felt like a sacrifice of good things I really want.  I actually like them fine, I just don't eat them, because I am likely to feel bad not too long after eating them. Not sick, but hungry and out of control and maybe a bit nauseous.  I have eaten all these things and not felt bad, but more often than not it leads to bad things. Among other things, they can lead to out of control eating - I've been a 3-slice pizza girl when my intentions were pure to stop after just one.

You will notice that chocolate candy and cookies are NOT on this list.  Nor, of course, ice cream, that best of all possible foods.  I buy these sometimes, eat them out of the house more often, and sometimes that is a problem in terms of how they make me feel and my ability to control my weight.  But I feel if I restrict the other types of indulgences I have, it just takes off my plate whole areas of decision-making I don't need to even think about, and probably leads to better choices overall. So let's set aside my issues about my special treat foods and think about the every day choices above. 

Wiping these things off the list of possible food choices in some ways makes life easier, but in others makes it much harder.  Travelling, for example. Sandwiches are unbeatable for convenience.  On a narrow little tray table on an airplane, to get out my bagged salad in a plastic bowl, fork, knife, napkin, maybe add the salad dressing and try to toss it in an already full bowl without annoying my neighbors is very difficult. Lunches served in conjunction with meetings are often sandwiches. I watched a colleague take his pre-made sandwiches, and methodically set aside the bread, and eat the insides with a knife and fork.  Brilliant! I can do that! Eating out at a Thai or Indian restaurant, presents fabulous choices, all of which involve rice, noodles, naan, or potatoes as integral parts of the dishes. These can't be "forbidden" foods, but I do try to find alternatives most of the time.  I feel better, and my weight is easier to manage, when I minimize them, so the hassle is worth some inconvenience.

Downline, there are foods I would like to eat more often (beans and sweet potatoes and intact whole grains). But those listed at the top of this post are not ever likely to find a regular presence in my house.

2 comments:

KCF said...

This was fascinating. I have my own list, but sadly not as long as yours... though much of what is on my list is on yours, too, including chips of all sorts, regular soda (alas, not my beloved Diet Coke), juices, muffins, and run-of-the-mill candy largely. Makes me want to thiink harder about meh foods I could simply just eliminate.

Liz said...

Good idea, expanding the list of low hanging fruit, or eating just what you love.

Liz