Sunday, February 21, 2010

Outside Again

I love Spring! The Big Snow is still on the ground, but it has stayed above freezing and been sunny for the past couple of days. I took advantage of the good weather and got out there.

I love walking. The moment to moment level of exhertion is much less than the NerdicTrak or elliptical trainer, but I keep at it longer and find it very calming. The problem really is that it's so time consuming.

Today's walk was in Rock Creek Park, just a mile from my house. I got out there around 9:30 and the serious exercisers were out in force. Bike riders and runners in form fitting bright or black clothing zoomed by me. Most other walkers had dogs. (I'm sad my dog cannot handle the confusion of that scene). I walked for nearly two hours, not so very fast, but quite steadily.

I've never really gone running but I thought about it as I watched them go past. Am I too old to start the punishment of pounding on the pavement? A year or so ago, when I was in better shape, I did some interval run/walks on the treadmill while rocking out on the iPod and I liked it fine.

I really wish I could bike. A couple of years ago I bought a new one to start training for a big ride. The first time I went more than 10 miles my knees hurt for a week. Three repeats of that and I stopped trying. It could be the bike not fitting me. But my knees hurt fairly often these days anyway.

This was meant to be a happy post. I walked in the sunshine today and now I am tired and happy. I ate decently, and now it's bedtime.


- iPhone uPdate

No comments: