Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Week #5 Session #2

Wow!  Eight minute runs!  I really wasn't sure I was going to be able to do this.  I did two eight minute runs separated by a five minute walk, and I realized that I have been running sixteen or more minutes out of 30 already, but putting it together into eight solid minutes was a lot.

The first one went well.  I maintained my pace for five minutes, then dropped it down a bit to finish up.  I cooled all the way down during the five minute walk and figured the second run would also be ok, but it was really hard.  I was not helped by the music, either.  I had Truckin' by the Grateful Dead on the playlist and it is 18 minutes long.  The last many minutes are long and moody (and self-indulgent) guitar solos and rifs only mildly related to the very good, rythmic basic tune. The whole eight minutes was in the guitar solo and my feet kept searching for the beat behind the wails but it didn't work well. I plug the ipod into a boom box and its out of reach when I'm on the treadmill, so I was stuck. I ended up dropping my pace to slower much sooner in this second interval, but I did finish it all at a jog. But this song is coming off the running playlist!  I need a different kind of altered state to be able to enjoy that guitar work.

Tomorrow is the gym at 6 am, and Friday is another stepped up run. I am really impressed at the way this training is working.  I am really progressing.  Running 8 minutes was definitely beyond my capabilities just a month ago!  At the pace I'm going, 8 minutes is about 2/3 of a mile. Maybe the best I've done since sixth grade!

Stats:  I hit the 2.0 mile mark at 26 minutes, and 2.2 miles at 30.  I averaged 4.4 mph for the 30 minutes, or a pace of 13.37 minutes per mile.

2 comments:

KCF said...

Kudos!!! I am so impressed with you!

Liz said...

snort - different kind of altered state

70s girl or not, I can't listen to that - as you say - self-indulgent guitar solo very long, in any state

8 minute runs is AMAZING

go, N!