Monday, January 23, 2012

Week #5 Session #1

This was not a huge step-up - three five minute runs.  And here is the wonderful part:  the first one was actually fun!  The music worked, and I did not have to work as hard as I did before (that would be like last week before), based on the heart rate.  I was not gasping for breath, though quite ready to turn down the speed to a walk when the five minutes was up.  But for the first few minutes, I was running along steadily, with the pace of the music, and totally enjoying the feeling of my body working hard but not desperately.  This is what I'm working for.  I want to run a 5K race, to have a goal and to have done it, but what I really want is to be able to go for a jog, pound out some miles, with my body working hard, and to feel enjoyment at the feeling.

Not every minute was fun, but it's clear this training thing is working to keep bringing me up to new levels.  I finished the 30 minute prescribed workout with 2.25 miles down, at an average speed of 4.5 mph and a pace of 13.4 mpm. I went on to finish the 5K in 43 minutes, at an overall average speed of 4.3 mph and a pace of 13.85 mpm.  



1 comment:

Liz said...

Fun! (gulp)

Go, you!

Liz