Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sitting Down

It is surprisingly hard, but surprisingly effective, to make myself sit down at the table for every bite.  I have a lot of unconscious eating, apparently, and this resolution to sit down to eat brings it all up to conscious level.  Yesterday, I made a big dinner with several dishes and several steps, and I found myself snacking steadily throughout the cooking.  Some was on relatively healthy stuff (peeled extra carrots and crunched them right down) and some much less so (cake pops, to pick an example at random).  None of it was conscious or planned.  Today, at work, I had the afternoon munchies and luckily grabbed my apple which was close at hand, but ate it absentmindedly at my desk. Far better to take a break at my table and really enjoy it.

This evening, after dinner and truly tired, I grabbed some leftover Christmas candy and just shoveled it in.  But then I remembered, and walked away before too much damage was done. I grabbed a piece to eat in the car, then remembered: only at the table.  I put it in my pocket and by the time I got home the moment had passed; it went into the fridge for another night.

So this is more of a struggle than I thought it would be, but seems like it will really pay off.

3 comments:

Liz said...

last post eaten, fingers crossed this makes it... only you, crazy over-achiever, would think training for a marathon and putting this huge constraint on food is setting minimal goals!

eating at my desk is a big problem, will read with interest your reports

best of luck!

Liz

Nan S said...

No, no, not a marathon, just a 5K (about 3 miles). In fact, the course runs from downtown Silver Spring along Wayne to Sligo Creek and U-turns across the street from your house. You might need to come out and cheer!

Liz said...

Nan,

For me not much of a distinction - it's freaking public running!
I will CERTAINLY go out and cheer - maybe get Will to give you a trumpet blast, that would be fun!

Liz