Friday, January 6, 2012

Week #2, Session #3

I was slow to get started on this Friday morning. Last night wasn't a great success, either.  I simply flopped on the couch after dinner and only got up to snack. I didn't set up the coffee pot on "auto" either, so that was my excuse this morning - I was slow to get out of bed, knowing I'd have to first make the coffee, before drinking the coffee, and finally getting down to the treadmill.

But of course I went.  I bumped my run (jog) speed up to 5.3 mph and added a seventh jogging interval at the end. This morning's music choice was my absolute favorite in the classical music canon: Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto.  I know from previous exercise experiences the version I was listening to is 31 minutes long, and it turned out the fast happy third movement started just as the sixth jog interval ended. The music gave me the push to add the extra interval.

These tiny changes meant I hit 2 miles at 28:30 minutes, and overall I did 2.1 miles in 30 minutes for an average of 4.1 mph.  My heart rate didn't hit 140 until the third interval, but was staying around 140 instead of climbing higher as I went on. And two minutes walk was plenty for it go back down under 120.

The next week starts to add a lot more jogging a lot faster.  Excelsior!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I understand part of this! I usually can't follow your numbers, but I walk 30 minutes at 4 miles an hour on my treadmill, and generally break a sweat at 5-7 minute point. Faster and I stumble, so if ambitious I increase incline. Not there yet, poor legs tired from the 3 times this week I actually got on the treadmill. Swam 4 of 6 days in 2012 so decent beginning. And Christams cookie supply almost depleted!

Excelsior!
Liz

Nan S said...

Go Liz! I can't walk at 4 mph, I find. I consider 3.5 mph a very fast walk. Somewhere just above 4 I have to break into a jog or fall off. So I'm picturing you really pumping it at 4!

Funny how we have to use up all the sweets before we can live without them.