Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Ultimate Luxury: Personal Training

There is absolutely no way to get a workout as good as one with a personal trainer. 

Several years ago, I had back problems, and started physical therapy. They did weird things to me with electrical devices and traction devices, but they also taught me some exercises and worked me through them.  It was all about the "core" muscles, stomach and back, and it gave me balance and flexibility and seemed to hold the back problems at bay. When the physical therapy prescription ran out, I moved to working with a personal trainer at the same facility.  She used Pilates techniques, big balls to move around on, multiple muscle groups working at once. Again, the core group was the main focus. After a few months she moved on to a new career, and I found a commercial "studio" very close to my house, just blindly from a newspaper ad.

There was a huge sticker shock associated with this new place. I rationalized it because I had signed up for a vigorous sail training vacation in a few months, and I knew I'd have a much better time if I was in better shape - stronger and more flexible. After the vacation, I kept on going because I could see the results. I was not focused on weight loss, only on fitness. I found myself able to do things I maybe had never been able to do. I read that push-ups can give a quick read of overall condition, and I was able to do a bunch of them.  Sit-ups and crunches? Fun and easy!

I was still fat and didn't have the aerobic stamina I wanted, but I was pleased with my body and ready to start focusing on diet and more vigorous exercise. Then tragedy struck, and taking care of my body was very low on my priority list.

I went back to my commercial studio (FitnessTogetherSilverSpring) this week. I just finished another visit, and am tired, will be a little sore, but am really really happy.  What happens at this gym is I work one-on-one with a trainer in a mostly private room for 45 minutes a pop. I use the aerobic machines before and after.  The workout is focused on multiple muscle groups, and tailored to my goals and abilities. I told them I want "strength, flexibility, upper body strength, and better balance, all so I can get out there and do stuff". I have liked every trainer I have worked with there. Part of what keeps me going is the friendly and personable folks that are urging me on to do much more than I would do by myself.

There are two big hurdles to doing this type of training: time and money. The only "found" time I have is in the morning, so Tuesday and Thursday I am at the gym before 6 a.m.!  (Twice, so far). It's three minutes drive from my house, so an alarm at 5:25 allows me a few minutes of stumbling around sucking coffee while getting dressed before climbing behind the wheel. I come back home again to get dressed for work, and end up there a little bit earlier, more alert, and much hungrier than in my normal morning routine. Saturday mornings round it out - I may drop this third visit if it interferes with more interesting weekend options.

The money?  Huge piles of money. No way to describe it otherwise. I had been toying with the idea of buying myself a big truck (or at least something bigger than my Honda Fit which is a very wide field) but this is more important. That's the kind of money we're talking about - a trade-off with a truck!

I've got lots more to say, but right now I have to go out there and do stuff.

No comments: