Sunday, March 28, 2010

Back on Course with my Eating

Things are settling down now - as much as they ever will in the real world.  I had an ok week with food, not great, but definitely ok. According to my magic calories used and calories consumed devices, I definitely ate less than expended each day. Nan's Miracle Diet requires detailed logging of the data, and a periodic analysis of what actually happened, not just my impressions.

My work lunches were fine. I had cottage cheese, cheese, or nothing for breakfast everyday. (About 120 calories.) I was able to either buy my favorite salad (Cosi Bombay Chicken, 480 calories with no bread), or take leftovers to eat. The bought salad comes with the bonus of the restaurant is three-quarters of a mile away, so I get a walk in as well. Leftovers generally are fewer calories, especially if I round out a small piece of meat with full-to-overflowing frozen broccoli or green beans. On the other hand, I nuke right in my office area, eat at my desk, and don't get a lot of movement in. Generally I'm heading into dinner with 500-700 calories consumed.

Dinner is the problem. And portion control at dinner is the very specific problem. I'm hungry when I get home, and want dinner quickly. Cooking for the family, the focus is on meat and starch - not a lot of demand for vegetables in the crowd.  On the cruise, I was eating rich food, but every meal was served plated with automatic portion control.

Here are a couple of strategies I'll try out:
  • Bring a veggie snack to work for the 4 pm doldrums- carrots or celery sticks.
  • Bring a flavored water to work each day for the same thing.
  • Also have the munchable veggies - or a piece of fruit - right at hand while making dinner.
  • Make an easy vegetable and put it on the table with the other food.
  • Consider not eating the same thing as the rest of the family - instead, a frozen dinner is generally under 400 calories. (I love the Indian entrees from the Ethnic Gourmet.)
Multiple strategies to attack the same issue - we'll see which ones work. A strategy I've considered and rejected is plating the food in the kitchen rather than putting the food on the table. The kids are used to determining their own portions and I don't think I want to change that. Because its spring break, dinner for the kids is likely to be much more ad hoc and so I am likely to resort to my frozen entrees. I clearly need a trip to the store today to get set up for the week. I think I'll be cooking enough tonight to ensure leftovers for lunch for the first couple of days at least.

No comments: