Saturday, March 6, 2010

Planning and Goals

One week or so of routine, back to some discipline, and some success to show for it... But the next two weeks will be unusual in every way. I have to think this through, because if every unusual event gives me permission to be undisciplined, I'll never get anywhere.

Stress coming up. I'll be on-stage Tuesday morning in front of 700 or so of my closest friends, delivering an hour long talk. Monday is the press briefing. NPR and the Wall Street Journal are likely to carry stories - about the topic, though probably not a quote. Wednesday is stressful for personal reasons, coordinating with friends who are doing a memorial to my sister in the park. Then it's get work whipped into shape (things are popping unexpectedly in several areas) so I can get onto the cruise!

The cruise itself will be a huge challenge.  Travel to and from will require opportunistic eating, and then I'll be surrounded by food everywhere I turn. Not to mention waiters offering drinks with umbrellas in them constantly. We're going to the land of rum, my favorite!

I need to remember I can't control the scale, but I can control my behavior.  Let's think this through, do some planning and prep, and set some boundaries for the behavior.

Next week, I need to have cottage cheese for breakfast and carry a salad for lunch every day but Tuesday, where there's the big ceremonial lunch. So Trader Joe's for salads tomorrow. The big lunch will be chicken, of course, and I can skip the starch. Dessert will be chocolate, and I can cut a line through it before I start on it. The reception that night I can have white wine and shrimp cocktail and do very well with it. If I skip the wine, I can have another choice for eating. (At least I've been through it before, I know what to expect.)

Saturday is travelling; I need to scope out more details on the hotel and restaurant options. Something easy and less expensive will be our approach. We'll be boarding on Sunday, and can lunch on the shipboard options.

My goals for the ship? Be conscious at all times. Do not just go on vacation from the diet. I love the promenade deck - plan on at least two miles a day in circles around the ship. Make sure I've got some fun books loaded up for listening while I walk. Food? I love the breakfast after the early morning walks. Sadly, the salad options for lunch are limited, but I need to focus on vegetables. and portion control. Dinner in the dining room will be just fine - pick what I want, clean the plate if I like it, but be circumspect on dessert. And drinking? I should probably choose each day between one drink and dessert. I'd be pleased with myself if I stuck to it - at least I'm not traveling with other drinkers. And I'm not such a fan of wine with dinner - I'd rather have a happy hour or after dinner with the show drink.

At least there will be multiple entertainment options that don't require drinking.  I truly love club soda with lime, and I'll allow myself to pay outrageous prices to indulge in that rather than feel totally deprived. Last time I checked, a pina colada was right up there with a hot fudge sundae for sugar and calories, but its my favorite drink in the world. I need to think about other rum cocktails that may be made less sweet than that.

I will report honestly success or failure at keeping to these plans. In the meantime, I've got a weekend to get through, with exercise opportunities on hand, and the best weather this calendar year. Time to address the day! 

No comments: