Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stats From the Trip

I'm home now... but in that weird travelling hangover where I'm still in my "away" frame of mind, not yet overwhelmed by the minutia of daily living, and not wanting to let go of the trip yet. I wore my arm-band activity-monitoring device (the "bugg") all week, and I just took a minute to compare my stats from this week on the cruise to the week before. Probably a better comparison would be to two weeks before, since I was terribly sick just before leaving. I was pretty darn active the whole week on the cruise, though I was more focused on and wrote about the food during the trip.

So let's see... on average, I burned 150 more calories a day on the trip than at home. This is good, even if I ate a lot more than 150+ calories a day. I was physically "active" for more than 90 minutes every day, including some bouts of intensely active - those were all very fast walks on the deck. I did go kayaking twice, but they were not exactly huge exercise events - lots of paddling then drifting. (Very very pleasant, however.) The big exercise triumph is in the number of steps per day on the ship - I averaged nearly 11,000 per day, versus only 6,000 during a work week (which generally includes a weekend long walk). Those good old turns around the deck really added up!  I'll miss the sea air and the recorded books for escapist entertainment. Let me dwell for a moment on the pleasure of it, and contemplate how to work more of it into my ordinary mundane routine.

Oddly, I didn't sleep too much on the cruise. I averaged more than half an hour less sleep each day, and it would have been much less if it weren't for the two afternoon naps I managed. I enjoyed the evening entertainment, and was not able to enjoy sleeping in. My mother stayed up much later than me every night, grooving along to the late night dance shows. I was anxious to get up and face the day each morning. I will miss having someone make me bacon and eggs every day from here on out.

No comments: