Wednesday, January 6, 2021

2021: Nice

Isn't this nice?
For the past two years, I've selected a one-word motto for the year. While I haven't written here about the topic after announcing the selection, I do actually think about the topic during the year. For 2019, the word was "Move". For last year, it was "Engage". 

This year, the word is "Nice". 

Underwhelmed? Stay with me here.

The point of selecting just a single word is it allows for ambiguity and multiple interpretations. So "nice" is an exclamation, a synonym for "cool". It also means how we treat each other, and we could all stand for a little more niceness in our interactions. And, inspired by Alice, I'm wanting to add a little style to my life: flowers on the table, color in my hair, food arranged artfully on the plate. So if I achieve "nice" this year, it will be enough.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Frankly, today NICE looks a little ambitious for 2021. But I certainly hope you can be and appreciate nice in your personal life. I’m feeling teeth clenching resentment myself.
But to sit under a clear sky, with a sweet dog, and peace and beauty around you... yes, we can aim for nice in the every day.
Liz

KCF said...

co-sign on dreams for a nicer year...

Liz said...

Me three on When We Are Vikings - good book. Great pacing and characters, genuinely thrilling at many junctures and brave ending. Thanks so much for the rec!
Liz

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Nan, I knew your word was “engaged” last year.
I’m proud of you, as your friend, for choosing these words.
And I’m honored that you mentioned me with the flowers and stylish things. I do try. Right now, I have one yellow taper candle and one red one burning on the mantel. We also still have all of our Christmas stuff up--we do that every year.
I’m still struggling with self-care, but I plan to sign off and brush and floss my teeth now. No joke. #staysafe
Love Alice