Tuesday, January 1, 2019

What's the Motto with You?


Image result for move

(Sorry, die-hard Lion King fan here)

Happy New Year, all!

I've become something of a fan of Gretchen Rubin, who is all about making life better, not in grand, huge ways, but in a myriad of small ways that add up over time. She has a podcast, social media presence, and several books. I'm looking forward to her forthcoming book, Outer Order, Inner Calm.

On this week's podcast, she and her co-host, her sister, revealed their mottoes for 2019. They have been doing the one-word motto, or theme, on top of or instead of New Year's resolutions. Playing along as I drove into work yesterday, I settled on mine for 2019:  MOVE. 

A quick search turns up variants: Move on, Move up, Move it, On the move. Images range from arrows to trucks, all dynamic in some way. Having tested this as a thought for a day, I've adopted it for sure.

I fear I could settle into my chair with books and ipads and look up hours later with nothing done. "Move" to me is the anthesis of this. It's both broader and more specific than "Just do it" or "get things done". We'll see how having a motto works, but I anticipate thinking every morning, "what Move am I going to make today?" as a good way to start.

More later, but time to get moving.

2 comments:

KCF said...

Nice! Not quite a single word, but I'm diving into some personal quarterly planning. As a relative newcomer to the official, formal work world, I've become quite smitten with quarterly planning. Going to try to apply it to some personal goals. I blog more on the main blog. Can't wait to follow our progresses this year! much love and happy new year's friend! Hope to see you Women's March weekend.

Liz said...

Oy, you can’t blame Lion King for you repeating it!

Simpler is better, esp in a complicated life, so good for you.

Fitness moves itself to the top of the list when I don’t put it there, so might as well embrace it.

Also, seeing my wheelchair bound brother over the holidays is a terrible reminder of the need for gratitude for the health we have.

Breathing much improved, first swim tomorrow!

Liz