Monday, May 12, 2014

Re-Toxifying

The detox is lost now in the mists of time. Have I changed anything as a result?

I started coffee right away, but with just one cup each day. Now I'm up to two - but I wait and see if I really want it, rather than just assuming I will.  So slightly decaffeinated, and perhaps this is the most decaffeinated I'll ever be willingly from now on.

I also started dairy right away.  I don't drink milk, but eat cheese and yogurt in various forms and as ingredients. I don't think I've ever really had a problem with dairy, aside from its calorie content, so I'm content with my ability to add it back in. I seem to be able to keep up portion control, which I'm very conscious of now. I don't do low-fat cheese or even yogurt usually, as the carbohydrate content is usually a lot higher than the full-fat versions. I'd rather have a small portion of the real stuff.

I'm happier to eat fruit. I'm eating more, and more often. Less afraid of the sugar content of fruit.  Good timing on the seasons, as strawberries are coming closer.

Flour and gluten - if I had written this a couple of hours ago, I would have reported I remain gluten-free. But my takeout salad was packed with a slice of beautiful rustic bread even though I said no.  Of course, they didn't make me eat it. I really think flour is a downfall for me, and want to mostly stay away from it. I've read a lot about gluten-sensitivity that falls short of actual disease. I don't know if I am gluten-sensitive, but maybe I need to focus on my reaction to this first bit of bread.

But sugar.... This is the reason I went cold turkey on the extreme detox, to break the sugar habit.  I started back small and slow on the sugar, but now I'm just as out of control as I ever was.  I'm totally unable to hold back on overeating sugary chocolate treats in the house. I think I need to not buy them. I continually think I should be able to manage portion control, and what's wrong with a tiny little snack? But I don't buy just one square of chocolate, and once broken into, it's all gone.  I made two trips to the supermarket this weekend bypassing the ice cream aisle, but 9 pm found me on a trip for the sole purpose of getting ice cream. A quart of ice cream. Gone in one sitting.

This is irrational behavior, that needs to be addressed.  I have some ideas, but I'm anxious for strategy suggestions.

3 comments:

KCF said...

So tough this portion control. The only strategy I have found is if I can't easily control a food, it absolutely cannot be in my home. That means no ice cream, only cookies that I "like" and am easily satisfied with at one, never ever ever never any donuts. Sadz, but that's all I've ever come up with.

Liz said...

I think you are still reacting to the detox. This sounds a little frantic for you. You haven't lost all that weight eating quarts of ice cream.

I think overeating is stress/boredom mostly. I would have a break from weighing and measuring, concentrate on the physical activity. In the past, getting stronger has made you want to eat better - or at least avoid some of the consequences of truly crap eating (as opposed to just eating more than the ideal for weight loss).

Take this with a grain of salt sicne I'm just bobbing in here occasioannly, but it seems like both your eating and exercise are in fits and starts rigth now. So try to get in more of the exercise routine, and my guess is that a better food routine will follow.

Good luck and ... Excelsior!

Liz

Nan S said...

I think you are right - I'm just tired of thinking about it. We'll see what happens when I lighten up.

Thanks!