Saturday, May 3, 2014

Detoxification: 1

I just finished ten days of Dr Mark Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution 10-day Detox Diet.  I couldn't post while I was doing it because I felt bad the whole time.  But I still have a lot to say about it.

Quick summary of what "it" is:  a very low carb, gluten free, dairy-free, caffeine and alcohol-free high fiber diet, with breathing, exercise, baths, journalling, and volumes of vitamin supplements, designed to drive out "toxins" from your body and create a lovely and serene good feeling body to build on for future good health.

Why did I do it?


  • Because I felt bad.  Not all the time, but much of the time. Body aches, sore knees and back, headaches.

  • Because I was out of control on sugar. Most days started out fine. I would have my cheese and/or meat for breakfast, a vegetable salad with meat for lunch, and a reasonably healthy meat and vegetable focused dinner. Then I'd have just my one small treat. Over the course of the rest of the evening, I would be on a search-and-consume mission to find every bit of chocolate in the house (very few treats have no chocolate). 

  • Out of curiosity, so see if it made a difference. To see what I felt like as "me", not "me on sugar, gluten, dairy, and caffeine". 

  • Because my girl agreed to do it with me, and I am constantly worried about her eating and food habits.


So I have muddled results, and I need to think about it. Of course, I wish I had done more writing and tracking during the process (which is actually meant to be part of the process), but I routinely entered some data points into my multiplicity of tracking systems, so I'll have some real evidence to look at. I want to establish what I did and how I felt, and compare to before (and now) - because I have to keep reminding myself that the reason I did it was because I was feeling bad.

This was a really stupidly bad time to take this on, because there is a lot of work required to make food and do the other steps and my always demanding job grew more hectic with a new boss, the logistics of life became complicated because they are working on my road and sometimes I needed to park blocks away, and because I am going to run a 5K tomorrow and it made me feel so bad I didn't even keep up all my walking much less any running.

More later. I'm burning daylight.

No comments: