Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Irresolute

No great plans or vows or resolutions coming from me. I've been sick since Christmas, and have spent entirely too much time gazing off into space. There is a difference between mindfulness and mindlessness, and I think I've been in more of the latter for the past few days.

But you can only do what you can do. My body betrayed me, but the silver lining is there:  no New Year's Day bounce up in the weight, since nothing stayed with me and even now most things don't sound good to me, and my stomach capacity is very low. I don't imagine that will last long, but it shielded me from my traditionally weak time, after the holiday work is done but before real life resumes.

And that real life comes back tomorrow. Sigh. I like my job, and I enjoy what I do when I am there most days. Still, if I won the lottery I'd be gone without a second glance. (My odds of winning the lottery are worse than most since I have never bought a ticket.)

I did spend some hours today updating and make new graphs. I'm happy with how I did, diet and exercise-wise, last year. It wasn't great, but I also dealt with some world class life challenges, and I maintained my physical condition overall and maintained-slightly bettered-- my weight. I can't post the graphs now because my computer decided to celebrate the new year by backing itself up and no other business can be conducted right now-this is typed out on the iPad and so is likely to have spelling and punctuation errors.

During a long dog walk today I thought of one resolution. It's only partly thought through, but I want to have a monthly "fitness adventure" to chronicle here. What is a fitness adventure? My hero, Sheryl Yvette, participates in lots of bike and running events. That is the sort of thing I'm thinking of, but I'm more likely to have less ambitious and less structured challenges, mostly things I think up for myself. But something, at least once a month, that is planned and trained for, that is off my beaten path and a bit of a challenge for me.

The Takoma Park 5K is an obvious one, in May I think. My dog will be under activity restrictions for a medical problem through February, so I need to start thinking through what to do before then, sans dog. Bike ride? But it's January, what will the weather be? A hike? An urban hike? An urban outdoor jog? Hmm... If I get on the treadmill now, I could do that before the end of the month. Plot my own 5k round the monuments. Got to get excited and have a near-term objective.

So Happy New Year everyone! What's your resolution?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: