Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Time and Money

These two valuable commodities have just flipped in their relative abundance in my life. I have been a wage slave since I graduated from college in 1975. Even when I went back to grad school, I worked a full schedule and supported myself. Since I finished my MBA and got my professional track job, I have had more money than I needed. Now, I face uncertainty, though I am very far away from any crisis, it is much on my mind. The prudent thing to do is hunker down financially, batten the hatches, and be prepared for a long siege. Even though it might end by tomorrow.

But TIME!!!! How very sweet this is. I have never not worked. Not even maternity leave for me. Weekends, of course, precious by their very limited nature, generally jam packed with chores, activities, and just needing to decompress and recharge for the week. Of course I've had vacations, generally leaving town for them. The casual day off to stay at home for specific chores or appointments. But now, unplanned and un scheduled time. Plenty of backed up chores to do, but I am determined to enjoy this time. Which doesn't mean no chores, because it drives me nuts to leave them undone. But what luxury, to wake up and decide how I'm going to spend my day, instead of having it all predetermined for me.

I think I'm going to think of this as a sort of rehearsal for retirement. Cut back on spending, but increase the exercise and social activities. The lack of control and anger about the circumstances could just overwhelm me if I let it. But I won't. You cannot control what happens to you,but you can control your response to it. I remember an extreme example from more than 30 years ago: the American embassy hostages in Iran were being interviewed by a news organization, and one of them said, "My mother will be upset because she will see I've lost weight. I've always been heavy, but this is one thing I can actually control so I've decided to do it." I am not comparing myself to them, god forbid, but I was so impressed with that it has stuck with me all these years. Find what you can do, and do it.

I bought a bike yesterday. I had already planned to buy one, it was "in the budget" so to speak, and this was the right time. More on that later. Things to do, places to go,people to see, exercises to be done.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: