Sunday, August 26, 2012

Boots

I've done ok for the past few weeks.  I started tracking in weight watchers again, and that helped motivate me to move more, to get those activity points added back to my allowance.  The fact is, I won't lose weight if I use all my daily and weekly points - at least that seems to be the case so far.  I'm not sure I have enough data to really verify this, because I don't think I've kept on tracking long enough for it to be proven one way or another, but mostly I'm not losing, not gaining, and have a bunch of the weekly points left over at the end of the week.

When I first started tracking again, it was because I had seen numbers on the scale above and beyond my normal fluctuations and alarm bells were going off full force. As it turned out, a catalogue appeared the day I decided to get serious, and there was this dress... Heavily influenced by Mad Men, I had to have this shirtwaist flirty dress. I've been wearing a lot of casual dresses this summer (sans hose, as appears to be the DC summer practical code, hooray) and it was a peach. But, slightly out of my normal price range, I decided to use it as a reward. I was a little bit fuzzy on what I had to do for the reward - "be good" for a few weeks.  I kept the catalogue open to that page, and looked at it often.

I've started to get moving, and moving begets moving. Another catalogue came this week, and it was specializing in boots.  I have never had tall boots that I really liked, and I've always wanted them. So the reward system became a bit amended:  get out there and run, and earn my boots. But, I am finding that nearly impossible to do on weekday mornings. I am not making even six hours sleep most nights, and it makes me very cranky. I set the alarm in the morning, and I get to the gym appointment, but the appointment with myself? Not so much.

I have added a lot of walking. I've gotten back into at least a quick mile on the mall at lunch, and Friday night I was suddenly left on my own as the family all made different plans, and so I got a solid three miles in.  Both yesterday and today I got out in the morning to run, and I've got a lot of re-conditioning to do by October 6 when the next 5K comes along.

I decided Friday that if I did my Friday night walk, and ran both Saturday and Sunday, I could buy boots. Still in my sweaty clothes, I sat down at the computer and did just that this afternoon.  I hope I like them!

The goals for the next time period are all around running, not around eating or weight. We'll see if one follows the other.

No comments: