Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bounce

I had a little bit of extra time this morning, so there was totally no excuse not to get down to the treadmill this morning. It is just so hard to get going. Even when I know I'm going to like it, it's still very hard to make myself show up. This morning was typical procrastination.

The alarm went off at the normal time, and like normal, I rolled over for a half hour. Then, up and aimed at the coffee pot, which I had not set up the night before. Then I just sat still until the coffee was ready, and sucked down as much as I could as quickly as I could. Each step of getting ready was a bargain with myself. I've got a good jog bra, and I put on the heart rate monitor at the same time. Just sweat pants this morning, and then I had to sit and drink more coffee. I reminded myself I need to drink water ahead of time as well. Then I found my last pair of clean socks, got the shoes on (careful to smooth over the blister and the hot spot as I got ready. Dig out the iPod, and head down to the basement. Find the playlist, set the volume, get the program on the treadmill set. Then five minutes walk for warmup.

I had decided on twelve minute intervals again. That would be mile long intervals. I was a little afraid about how I would do after all the huffing and puffing I've been doing. But it went well. The first mile was fine, at 5.2 mph, but I was still there with my finger poised over the speed button as the last seconds ticked off. I walked for three minutes and went back into the run. The heart rate shot right up to above 150 bpm, but it stayed there rather than continuing to climb. After a few minutes, I slowed it down to 4.7 mph for some minutes, and the heart rate went beck down to just under 150, but then an up tempo song came on and I had to speed it up. The heart rate went up to maybe 153 - 154 bpm but I had to keep pace (I don't remember what song!) and I pounded out a couple more minutes, with one eye constantly on the gauges, waiting to be able to slow things down.

Then IT happened. My mind wandered. I started thinking about my work day, where there is a whole lot going on. I thought through a problem and figured out my next step. All the time the treadmill kept turning and my feet were pounding along in time with the song. Then I looked down at the gauge and it was a minute past my time!

This has never happened before. I've lost a minute or more before, but in the other direction: last time I looked two minutes ago there were five minutes to go, but suddenly there are six and a half more minutes left! This is the first time I've forgotten to stop on time!

So I'm feeling really good about this. This has restored my confidence that I can do this. I'm up for trying longer periods again. Friday.

Excelsior.

Ps: The bounce. Warning: possible TMI: I an a pear shaped woman with very little up top, but I still need to have a really good bra. I have several and it's part of the running routine. But there are other jiggly parts to my body, and given the afore-mentioned pear shape, prominent among them is my butt. As I've lost weight, it's gotten smaller but there is a definite and uncomfortable way it moves to its own rhythm that isn't the same as my feet. I have invested in the equivalent of a bra for my butt: compression shorts. I also have a couple of pairs of tight running pants. I'll definitely have to wear something over them to leave the house, and I don't always wear them for running on my treadmill. I didn't this morning. It's uncomfortable. More work to get ready, but worth it.

3 comments:

KCF said...

Not TMI at all. I remember BitchCakes was a big fan of compression shorts/pants. Makes sense. As always, finding your postings so inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes - I do love when I lose track of the exercise and start thinking - and my laps are done! Coincidentally, happened today for the first time since before my long layoff.

And it's March - all things looking up!

Liz

Liz said...

I say my joints b/c its more palatable, but the unseemly and uncomfortable flopping of body parts is a large part of why I don't run.

Compress and run away!

liz