Friday, March 19, 2010

Progress Report From the Ship

I deny myself nothing. That is, if I really want it. That is my approach, and it is having mixed results. The secret seems to be remaining conscious of the food and drink at all times.

I've been logging food, retrospectively. I try to be generous with the estimated portions, though it makes me wince sometimes when I look at what I've done. I've remained under 3000 calories a day, (mostly around 2400) and mostly feeling very indulged. After all, french fries, a beer, a hot fudge sundae, and an eclair (all in the same day) are going to add up. The secret is portion control- a taste of the sundae, counting the fries, a bite of the eclair.

Part of why I'm doing this is because I want this to be the rest of my life. I am not going to just relax and go with it here, so easily slipping into 4000 calorie days. Every day here and at home and wherever I am counts. The body will process inputs without regard to global coordinates or work versus vacation status. This is not preventing me from enjoying myself. On the contrary, I deny myself nothing, feel indulged, and do not have guilt or regrets.

I'm enjoying the walking on deck quite a bit. I finished one book and started another. This morning for the first time it was really too hot to do much for long, but I still estimate a half hour at a moderate pace. I've taught the phrase and the concept of "post-prandial perambulation" to my young companion. There is only trivial other exercise aboard ship. I was hopeful just moving about and taking the stairs would make a difference, but not so much according to the bugg on my arm. Kayaking also is not so much says the bugg. But the fresh air is great and helps me sleep.

I do miss the buzz, though. All previous cruises involved a lot more alcohol. Not only do the the drinks carry calories, but they also have a tendency to lead to more desserts. So I've cut way back - less than one drink a day (trading off for more french fries or dessert). But I've always enjoyed my one or two or three drinks, and I miss it.

- iPhone uPdate

No comments: