![]() |
| My weight this year. There are bobbles up in April (France) and in July (Sweden). I have to pay attention! |
But on the bigger, longer picture, things are going well:
![]() |
| My weight since 1988 |
This is a good reminder that I have been a fat person for a long time, but that it is totally possible to change that. An aging body may make it harder, but new tools are available. I first weighed roughly what I weigh now more than 30 years ago! (And I never had any maternity weight to blame, either.) My current weight is about what I weighed when I retired, in 2019.
I feel great about this. I never really adjusted to the most recent post-Covid surge in my weight. My closet is full of clothes that more nearly fit me now, and I'm pulling them out and happily wearing them. I haven't permanently retired anything yet, but I'm having to wear a belt with a number of trousers that didn't require them before.
So by the numbers:
- It's just over 20 pounds
- By BMI reckoning, I've moved from "obese" to "overweight"
- By clothing size, I'm closer to "L" than "XL"
- And, in what makes the most significant difference to me, I've lost inches --
One inch off my bust
Two inches off my waist
FOUR inches off my hips!
A major driver for me of weight loss is wanting to wear clothes that I feel good in and that I believe make me look good. The way my pear-shaped body is out of proportion when I'm at my heaviest makes me feel bad. I worked hard over the past few years to embrace body-positivity and not hate the way my body is. I made some strides, and I certainly never considered my weight a barrier to exercising and being fit. But being able to buy a jacket that fits my shoulders and still zips over my hips is wonderful! I can now button a collared shirt all the way down. These things make my daily life more pleasant.
So onward! Excelsior!
EDIT TO ADD because it feels timely: Fun Fact! My weightloss in 1996 was kicked off by cyclospora, from raspberries from Guatemala. I lost 8 pounds of water weight overnight and went to the ER in morning, where they stuck me with an IV before I'd finished filling out the forms. I then left the country on a work trip for three weeks. It lasted about 5 days, and then it kept coming back, slightly less virulent, every three weeks for several months. It finally tailed off. I never ended up with antibiotics, because I'm allergic to many and was traveling.


2 comments:
Such good news, Nan! I'm so happy you are on a good trajectory. And just like everything about this lifelong effort (and I couldn't agree more...I liken it to learning a language late; you're just not going to learn to speak without an accent), vacations will happen and going with the flow isn't the worse thing, but it doesn't mean you don't return to your routines. (I'm struggling with some new plateaus and stubbornness...I blame the hormone blockers bc, why not! LOL)
Great post, congrats! Love the matter of factness, the emotions around weight get in the way. WhT you are doing works, but not at perfectly even rate.
Liz
Post a Comment