Friday, August 20, 2021

Pandemic Thoughts

Pandemic Pup
We thought we were done with this! It is SO DAMN FRUSTRATING! This was so avoidable. It proves we need the vaccine to be universal - and that includes internationally, because variants will continue to arise unless the whole world gets vaccinated.

Way back in the 1980s I read some science fiction books* that tell the story of a planetary epidemic, of flu. Scores of people all over the planet are sickened and die. A vaccine is developed. Then the crux of the story: the vaccine must be distributed planet-wide within a short period of time or else it won't work - the virus is evolving quickly. A risky time-travel method is used, and our hero self-sacrifices to get the job done. But the basic point was made. Everybody needs this, and needs it now, or it won't work. We know what to do, people. We need to do it!

I went past a lovely coffee shop in town today, Kaldis. Back in the Before Times, but post-retirement, I went a few times there with my laptop to get various things done, including blog posting. Every time I went I felt I was play-acting the life of the freelance writer, as so vividly told by my New Jersey friend. This coffee shop was late to re-open for seated service, but today as I went past there were people seated with their computers. The sign outside noted limited hours - daytime, not into the evenings. But I won't go in there to sit, not now. 

My grocery shopping habits have changed so much during this time. I was probably going to the store 3-4 times a week before. In January and February of this year, probably my most hunkered down in place time, I only went about every three weeks. I started growing my own lettuce on the countertop, so I had something fresh all the time. I'm so much more focused on using up my food before buying more. I keep an inventory written on front of the fridge, and I add expiration dates to somethings noted there. I also maintain a much better shopping list. It's on my phone, and I add to it often while in the kitchen or perusing recipes. For non-perishables like dishwasher detergent, I add to the list as soon as I open a new container, so I always have another standing by. Folks, this may not sound remarkable to you, but I've never been this organized before. 

There was a long, comprehensive article about masks in the NY Times Wirecutter section this week. I got into designing and engineering cloth masks, and I have a substantial collection now. It's time to review them - replace the elastic, in some cases, replace the metal nose wire in others. I've also got some disposable surgical masks and some KN95s. I thought maybe I had overbought, but no. I think I'll get a chance to use them. I feel KN95 is the most secure, but not the most comfortable. 

I'm so glad I went traveling when I did. I've another trip coming up, by public transport - either a plane or train (depending on hurricane impacts - I have reservations on both). I went and got tested today - I have no symptoms, but it seemed a responsible thing to do, to head off inadvertent spreading. I'll get tested again when I get back. Testing remains easy here - I waltzed right in (mid-morning) and was out in five minutes. I'll be wearing a mask during my travel, of course, for several hours, and so will probably take several to be able to change when they get damp.

I went ahead of the science and got myself a booster vaccination, of a different technology. I had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, single shot. Not so many of us had that shot, compared to Pfizer and Moderna, so there is very little information available on its efficacy. Recommendations expected soon will not include the J&J, because they don't know. Not, you will note, because they think it isn't needed. In fairness, the J&J was distributed two months later, so if there was any reason to think its efficacy period would be similar to the others, it can come later. But wait - it's a totally different technology! Why would its period be similar? When they do come out with recommendations, they will focus on whether J&J should be boosted with another J&J shot. But I decided to roll the dice and get a booster of one of the other ones, a "mRNA" version. Studies in Europe of mix-and-match technology have shown increased efficacy from the mix-and-match approaches. I believe the U.S. should be widely distributing the vaccines around the world, but I still got my own booster. Shading of principles with self-interest.

The picture of the pandemic pup is only for the cuteness factor. He loves his lobster from Maine!

*The science fiction books are part of the "Dragons of Pern" sagas by Anne McCaffrey. She wrote a bunch (16?) books all set in the world of Pern, and now her family members have continued the business. Several of the books have references to the epic song cycle "The Ballad of Moreta's Ride", and finally she wrote a book with the story of the ride. She also wrote another book taking place at the same time with a different main character, much more focused on the effects of the pandemic.

No comments: