Tuesday, December 29, 2020

2020 Wrap-up: Movies

 My primary form of entertainment has always been books, but of course I like movies. I've associated with film buffs over the years, and so my viewing history is broader than it would be if left on my own. I have, however, formed opinions on which genres I like and don't like, and it takes some urging to get me to see one out of my wonderbread comfort zone. Horror movies, not so much, though actually reading a spoiler-laden synopsis before seeing is helpful.

In January and February I saw some movies in theaters with friends. According to my credit cards, I paid for movies out four times in those months, but I'm fuzzy on what I saw (and what I may have seen in December of last year). As always, I made an effort to watch Oscar-nominated movies early on. When the lockdown started, I decided to focus on movies I always wanted to see, not necessarily the most current. And since I pay for many streaming services, I watched a lot that didn't require extra payment - skewing towards movies at least a couple of years old. Partway through the year, I googled "goodreads for movies" and came up with the app Letterboxd, which allows the keeping of a watchlist and also recording and rating movies you have seen. There is a social component to it, but no-one I know IRL is using the app that I'm aware of, so right now it's just a private record.

So here is at least a partial record of movies I saw this year, with a couple notes along the way.

  • Parasite - good to have seen it once to understand
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - I'm a fan
  • Jojo Rabbit - I liked it, folks I know hated it
  • 1917 - a nice war story, with the predictable only female person a madonna figure in the rubble
  • Red Tails - good story, if predictable by following a classic war movie line,  about the famed (to me) black fighter pilots in Italy during WWII. If you don't know the story, it may be less predictable, and it's an important story to get out there.
  • Little Women - wonderful
  • Ford v Ferrari - liked it better than I expected
  • Marriage Story - really sweet
  • Emma - I had noted this as one to watch in the theater. It was one of the first scheduled theatrical releases sent to the the small screen after the lockdown. I even re-read the actual book (which I owned) before renting it. It was very well done.
  • His Girl Friday - a club I belong to was watching this before a zoom discussion. It is a classic screwball comedy with snappy dialogue. It does not hold up - the casual sexism, racism, and mean spirits overshadowed any remaining screwball charm and romance.
  • C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America - An alternate history, done as a BBC documentary of the repressive and reclusive CSA in modern times. Scary and impactful, also funny at points.
  • Hamilton - "how does a ...."  Gives me goosebumps. Maybe I'll watch it again soon.
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Restorative to the spirits.
  • Battle of the Sexes - It provided more social and historical context than I expected. I liked it a lot.
  • Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - Part of my Iceland phase. It's amusing.
  • Star Wars - I rewatched the original six, since I had Disney. I'll probably watch the last three again. There are more minor threads that re-occur and even pop up on the Mandalorian. 
  • Radioactive - Marie Curie. Really interesting, worth it.
  • The Princess Diaries - Sometimes you just need an easy to chew fantasy, kind of like oatmeal with cream and sugar
  • How to Train Your Dragon - See "Princess Diaries".
  • Maleficient and Mistress of Evil - catching up on my little nieces' crush.
  • Coco - perfect for Halloween
  • Little - a re-take on Big, pleasant fluff
  • Enola Holmes - I was insulted at its poor quality. Apparently there are a series of children's books that are very amusing, but not having read them I found the movie boring, predictable, and not even slightly plausible. Think taking a bite expecting cream and sugar, and getting skim milk with splenda.
  • Contagion - told by friends it was worth it, I finally watched in September. So we knew everything we needed to know, if only we had paid attention.
  • Under the Tuscan Sun - comfort food.
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7 - with Aaron Sorkin of West Wing fame on board, very enjoyable and very understandable. 
  • Ocean's Eleven - I do like a good caper movie. I will watch more (I saw the "female" one (Ocean's Eight) first).
  • The Glorias - Gloria Steinem is having a moment. This is a bit weird but good.
  • The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming! - possibly the best movie of all time, I watched it while hiding in my bunker on election night. It holds up nicely.
  • On the Basis of Sex - had to see it - so good!
  • Captain America - thinking I might want to see this set of superheroes, I haven't seen any of them before
  • The Hustle - a disappointing caper movie. It's a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which starred Steve Martin and Michael Caine, and was infinitely better.
  • Bombshell - I liked it, but was struck by how the "I'm not a feminist" thing was such a thing. Also, just to keep us from getting too sympathetic with the erstwhile victims, we heard them in the studio discussing emphatically how Santa had to be white because Jesus was white. Huh.
  • Happiest Season - this year's LGBTQ breakthrough holiday movie. Fun.
  • 7500 - a German-made hijacking movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Not earth-shattering, but 80 minutes of non-stop adrenaline in a 90 minute movie.
  • Wonder Woman - we re-watched on Christmas with a plan to see the new one on New Years.

What's up next for me? I've found I like having the lights and noise coming into my house on gloomy days or early evenings, and I've marked 65 more movies on my watchlist, so there is a lot to see!

7 comments:

KCF said...

my takes, for what they're worth!
Parasite - good to have seen it once to understand. KIM: loved it.
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - I'm a fan. KIM: I did a marathon of this a few years ago. Not such a fan that I picked this up, but I enjoyed the marathon, so I'm pinning this for things to see when F is in Kingston this winter (he not such a fan)
Jojo Rabbit - I liked it, folks I know hated it. KIM: I was one of those who liked.
1917 - a nice war story, with the predictable only female person a madonna figure in the rubble. KIM: I liked, but had mixed feelings.
Red Tails - good story, if predictable by following a classic war movie line, about the famed (to me) black fighter pilots in Italy during WWII. If you don't know the story, it may be less predictable, and it's an important story to get out there. KIM: pinning!
Little Women - wonderful. KIM: LOVED! Been wanting to see again.

KCF said...

Blogger cut me off!
Ford v Ferrari - liked it better than I expected. KIM: me too!
Marriage Story - really sweet. I liked but found it incredibly sad.
Emma - I had noted this as one to watch in the theater. It was one of the first scheduled theatrical releases sent to the the small screen after the lockdown. I even re-read the actual book (which I owned) before renting it. It was very well done. KIM: pinning
His Girl Friday - a club I belong to was watching this before a zoom discussion. It is a classic screwball comedy with snappy dialogue. It does not hold up - the casual sexism, racism, and mean spirits overshadowed any remaining screwball charm and romance. KIM: Haven't seen. not in a rush to now!
C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America - An alternate history, done as a BBC documentary of the repressive and reclusive CSA in modern times. Scary and impactful, also funny at points. KIM: pinning!
Hamilton - "how does a ...." Gives me goosebumps. Maybe I'll watch it again soon. KIM: So sad M didn't want to see this with me--I wanted an excuse to rewatch. But I will do so again on Feb retreat!
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Restorative to the spirits. KIM: Saw it, but I see I never reviewed it on the blog. Odd. I enjoyed it ver ymuch.
Battle of the Sexes - It provided more social and historical context than I expected. I liked it a lot. KIM: ditto.
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - Part of my Iceland phase. It's amusing. KIM: I'm giggling.
Star Wars - I rewatched the original six, since I had Disney. I'll probably watch the last three again. There are more minor threads that re-occur and even pop up on the Mandalorian. KIM: see above.
Radioactive - Marie Curie. Really interesting, worth it. KIM: pinning!
The Princess Diaries - Sometimes you just need an easy to chew fantasy, kind of like oatmeal with cream and sugar. KIM: Agreed.

KCF said...

I shall not be intimidated by Blogger!
How to Train Your Dragon - See "Princess Diaries". KIM: will skip.
Maleficient and Mistress of Evil - catching up on my little nieces' crush. KIM: will skip
Coco - perfect for Halloween: KIM: just saw this year and enjoyed!
Little - a re-take on Big, pleasant fluff KIM: Never heard of this one.
Enola Holmes - I was insulted at its poor quality. Apparently there are a series of children's books that are very amusing, but not having read them I found the movie boring, predictable, and not even slightly plausible. Think taking a bite expecting cream and sugar, and getting skim milk with splenda. KIM: Never heard of this one. Sounds like just as well.
Contagion - told by friends it was worth it, I finally watched in September. So we knew everything we needed to know, if only we had paid attention. KIM: We watched this beginning of pandemic, too (we saw it when it was released as well) and had hte exact same thought!
Under the Tuscan Sun - comfort food. KIM: pinning
The Trial of the Chicago 7 - with Aaron Sorkin of West Wing fame on board, very enjoyable and very understandable. KIM: pinning
Ocean's Eleven - I do like a good caper movie. I will watch more (I saw the "female" one (Ocean's Eight) first). KIM: Ah, one of my faves (11). The rest were meh or trash, but 11 reamins a gem.

The Glorias - Gloria Steinem is having a moment. This is a bit weird but good. KIM:Pinning
The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming! - possibly the best movie of all time, I watched it while hiding in my bunker on election night. It holds up nicely. KIM: Never saw! Am pinning!
On the Basis of Sex - had to see it - so good! KIM: on our list.
Captain America - thinking I might want to see this set of superheroes, I haven't seen any of them before KIM: not so interested.
The Hustle - a disappointing caper movie. It's a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which starred Steve Martin and Michael Caine, and was infinitely better. KIM: had no interest in Hustle, but always loved DRS. We rewatched in pandemic with C.
Bombshell - I liked it, but was struck by how the "I'm not a feminist" thing was such a thing. Also, just to keep us from getting too sympathetic with the erstwhile victims, we heard them in the studio discussing emphatically how Santa had to be white because Jesus was white. Huh. KIM: I enjoyed it more than I thought I wold.
Happiest Season - this year's LGBTQ breakthrough holiday movie. Fun. KIM: Pinning!
7500 - a German-made hijacking movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Not earth-shattering, but 80 minutes of non-stop adrenaline in a 90 minute movie. KIM: hmm...sounds good. I like me some JGL
Wonder Woman - we re-watched on Christmas with a plan to see the new one on New Years. KIM: saw. I dunno. not a big super hero kind of gal.

Nan S said...

Kim: Loved your reactions!

Liz said...

Yes, I took pen in hand too to read this.
Glad for the warnings on His Girl Friday and Enola Holmes, both of which I had intended to watch. Life too short for bad movies. For me, life too short for kids movies, so that category out, though I am glad to see diversity trickling down to the younger set.
My comfort movie is lord of the rings, which I could watch 2 a year every year, but Peter not as into it. I did watch it in the last year, so I’m good. Back up comfort is the original Star Wars trilogy. I saw A New Hope 12 times in the theaters in 1977.
Cap America good choice among the Marvel movies. Chris Evans nails the earnest, dorky valor and the befuddlement and sorrow of being a man out of time. I have them all on disc if you want.
Must go look again, notes got messy.
Liz

Liz said...

I saw most of the movies, and generally agree with you. Excited for Red tails, which Was not on my radar. Shocked you had never seen Oceans 11, IMHO, it is THE caper movie. If you know of others like it, please share! Warning, sequels not as good. Also intrigued t Find The Russians Are Coming, Have never seen.

On my list to see, but appreciate the reminders: Emma, The Gloria’s, Radioactive, On the Basis of Sex

Leery, but possibly on CSA and Contagion, real life scares me enough. Seeing you rev makes it more likely.

One last look to see if I missed anything.
Liz

Liz said...

Also excited for 7500, also a JGL fan. Very mixed about The Happiest Season - wanted to support bc Schitt’s Creek - and the Buttigiegs, to tell you the truth - made me realize how limited the gay roles on tv/movies are, and how they deserve trauma free romance where no one dies of aids or gets beaten to death. But lord it was dumb, and the lead was a horrible character. Kristen Stewart is good, really head and shoulders above the rest, but we found it hard to sit through. Loved seeing Dan Levy, still in SC withdrawal.
Thanks for warning on The Hustle, would love a good female caper movie but sounds like I keep waiting.
I repeat myself I know but not seeing Bombshell, would find it enraging and your capsule critique confirms that. Jesus is white... Grrrr.
But appreciate the trouble you went to with this post, love reading about movies, and love having your recs and reminders.
Liz