Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Fall, On Balance

The past couple of days have helped crystallize for me what I dislike about Fall, as a season. I've got two major dislikes. One is obviously the dark - we changed time yesterday, but that doesn't affect the actual day length, which is shorter and shorter. But, getting dark earlier by the clock feels like the days are suddenly much shorter. And dark, cloudy, days with no blue sky feel like they are more likely. (I don't know the truth of that last sentence, for here in the mid-Atlantic. I do know that very little sunshine in the fall or early winter is absolutely true for the upper midwest where I lived for a long time.)

The second big annoyance is, perhaps surprisingly, not the cold per se. It is the separation between inside and outside that the cold brings that is much more of a problem for me. 

So ok, of course I dislike being cold. I dislike it a lot. But I have invested in really good cold weather clothes. I had all my heating ducts in the house re-routed two years ago (as part of the basement reno) to make my forced-air heat much more effective. I don't actually need to feel cold, at all. But it takes work to stay warm!

In the summer, I have literally rolled out of bed, slipped on a pair of flip flops, leashed the dog and gone around the block in the shorts and tee I slept in. Almost always some of the first cup of coffee are drunk on the patio, staring down into the foliage above the park. I leave windows wide open as much as possible, minimizing my use of air conditioning. I'm in and out all day, as likely to sit and read (or blog) while outside as in. 

This very blustery but sunny morning, I had to prep to get the dog around the block. I had to think what to wear - am I going to be outside long enough in cold enough weather to need my lined pants? How many layers of tops do I need? Socks, shoes, which ones? Where is my hat? Where are my gloves? My yard is fenced, so the dog can just go out, except he is partially blind and he needs me to light up the yard for him at night, which means my being out there with him. (He runs into things and can't find his way back to the door without help.)  It's a barrier to getting to enjoy the outside. Once I was out this morning it was terrific - the gale force winds are exhilarating, the foliage is so nice - but there was a real break between inside and out. 

I don't want to focus on the negatives, however. I could find more to complain about this season (bad memories, among them) but I'm trying hard not to go there. While Spring is totally my favorite season, with the above two factors (light and access to the outdoors) steadily increasing the whole time, here follow many positive attributes that make me like Fall.

The Light. Yes, there is less of it, overall, but the colors! The brilliance! The foggy wisps revealing bits of foliage!

Sunshine in my yard and house. My yard is very shady, but as the leaves go, the direct sun increases. Add to that the lower angle of the sun and it penetrates inside my house very efficiently.

Hygge. To me, that mostly translates to a fire and a good drink before it.

Brassicas and other seasonal foods. I love me some brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage. This is the season! Brussels, bacon, apples, onions, and sweet potato sauteed together - is there anything finer?

Holidays. I’m not such a fan of Halloween, but Columbus Day and Veterans Day were great breaks from work. We’ve got three birthdays in November, and of course, the very best holiday ever: Thanksgiving. And prepping for Christmas. All good things. I’m more likely to see my adult kids around for few days.

Happiness is at least partly a choice, I’ve learned, and I’m trying my best. 

2 comments:

KCF said...

Love this: Happiness is at least partly a choice.

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Nan, I just caught up here. I admire your thorough tracking--days on the boat, trips downtown. I like that you live so close to our nation's capital and can be our sane person on the ground there. "60 Minutes," the Obama interview last night--took place in the National Portrait Gallery! I am so glad we went there.
The holidays coming. Superweird and stressful and sad. Not really excited for them; they seem like they will be days when we feel loss rather than joy, but I know we will need to endure this for the greater good and so that we all have nice holidays ahead.
And Paris, London--our beloved New York. What crazy numbers spiking. Also in my own town and in our neighboring town, Newark.
Sending love. Just bought a pair of cozy flannel pajamas today.
#staysafe
Alice