Saturday, February 15, 2020

Home Ergonomics

“Before” - my cluttered office with morning light
I’m in the middle of getting an update to my office and kitchen. Much less than a full renovation, but exciting enough - for the kitchen, new countertops, backsplash, sink and faucet, new paint (with new colors) and new cabinet handles. For the office, new countertop and paint. There will be plenty of pictures, once I get to the “after” stage for before and afters. But right now, I’m thinking about any changes I may want to make as part of moving back in.

Since I kept all the kitchen cabinets and appliances, I didn’t need to completely empty the kitchen. But I did need to get everything off the counter and open shelves, window sills, any surfaces. Also, I emptied the top drawer of each cabinet bank, so there was room to demolish the old and install the new stuff. All of that stuff is now out on tables and floors in other rooms. I was struck by how much stuff I had out. It’s clutter, guys. The stuff that was out in the open tends to be the stuff I use all the time, but there is stuff in the cabinets that I hardly use at all. When I get to move back into the kitchen, it’s going be a process of making sure everything in there needs to be in there. And everything out in the open really needs to be out all the time. And, that things are placed where I want them placed, for how I will actually use the kitchen.

I just had a fun conversation with my contractor about where to put things when I go back. It’s good to be challenged. I’m going to need to find places out on the counter for my microwave, my coffee pot, and my toaster oven, all of which I use all the time. I’ve also had a jar for putting my most often used hand tools sitting out next to the stove. But I’ve had places for dog treats (need to be high up and out of his reach!), cutting boards, knives, water bottles and travel mugs, trays, vases, and non-refrigerated fruits and vegetables. I’ve had a cart that holds linen towels, a recycling staging area, and my instant pot. It added up to a lot of clutter. If I’m going to put all of these things away, I will need to pull things out of my cabinets or off my open shelves to make room.

I’ve got space in my new basement on open shelving, where I can put things I’m not willing to get rid of entirely. But definitely, it’s time to part with more stuff that I just don’t use. Things should only go in the basement if I am going to use them sometime. But things I don’t use too often. I found out a couple of years ago, when I wanted to cook more, that putting the cuisinart in a cabinet below the food prep counter meant I used it more than I did when it was stored in another room entirely. Going to get it was one more hurdle to cooking.

Should the microwave go next to the stove instead of across from it? Do I want to keep my longest stretch of countertop clear for food prep? Can I find an accessible, but out of view, place to put the cutting boards and trays? Do the knives go back in a drawer or will I find a place for my magnetic knife rack? Can I make room in a lower cabinet for the instant pot? (I already keep the cuisinart, rice cooker, and mini-chop down there.) Thinking systematically about this stuff will make my life easier.

Warring with my desire for clear, uncluttered surfaces is my awareness that I’m very visually driven. If I have cool things put away where I never see them, I don’t think about them. That’s one of the reasons I like to keep my fresh fruits and veggies out - so I remember to eat them before they go bad. Also, accessibility is crucial. I’m short. I’m getting older. My cabinets go up to the ceiling, but it takes a tall stepladder, not just a step stool, for me to reach the top shelves. Probably, there are things on the top shelves that have been there for years and not used, that could go away. But I couldn’t use that space for anything that will be needed more than a couple of times a year. The good news on things for entertaining is most often I am entertaining my family, all of whom are younger and taller than me. So, they get the job of reaching the inaccessible stuff!

I should be able to start this process of moving back in as early as tomorrow. This will be fun!

3 comments:

KCF said...

Hoo-boy! I'll be following along avidly! I love me a before-and-after saga! And now that I've refamiliarized myself with your pad thru the several visits in 2019 it will be that much more fun!

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Oh! late leaving office, will read later...cool.

Liz said...

I love magnetic knife bars. Also, had not thought of it that way, but in the kitchen I am visually driven. I did not think of it, as I work hard to keep living room, bedroom, and dining room uncluttered, but I need to keep things I view in the kirptchen, probably lay bc that is an action place.
Food for thought. Also interested in concept of future accessibility - hmmm!
Liz
for accessibility.
Liz