Sunday, August 4, 2019

Where the Magic Happens

I belong to a gym in town. It has fancy machines that isolate specific movements, and it's where my trainer works. I go at least once per week to see Elaine and get a really terrific workout. I also try to stop in once or twice a week to specifically work my knee on the machines. In addition, I use the bathroom there, when I'm hanging out in downtown. It's far and away the best choice (Whole Foods and the library are both overused), and it's right there, very convenient.

I've mentioned that I got my basement renovated last year. There are now two bedrooms down there, and I turned one of them into a home gym. I'm trying to make it attractive and useful, and I'm trying to get down there as much as possible. In fact, I think I ought to be down there every day except personal training days, for at least 15 minutes. My short routine, on the floor and using a few simple things, makes a big difference in how I feel.

I already had the treadmill - I got it back when I started running way back in 2012.  I got it in the winter, and running on the treadmill to very loud music turned out to be my successful entry into running. Now, I'm not using the treadmill at all, but I expect that to change in the winter. (You might think I'd use the treadmill in the heat, but you would be overestimating my current appetite for running.)

I also already had the soft floor tiles, the step-up box, and the big exercise ball. I had a set of hand-weights, an exercise mat, and some  stretchy exercise bands. I added the TRX hanging from the ceiling (I had the construction crew install the mount for it since I suspend from it). I asked for and got the bosu ball for Christmas, and picked up a squishy pad for my knees and to balance and some yoga blocks. I use all these things, on different days in different ways.

I learned a basic back exercise routine from the internet, and added some exercises I was given in my knee physical therapy. I added to the mix some random moves I've learned from my trainer, including some TRX moves. I try once a week to stay down longer and add upper body work to the routine. If I'm not feeling like working hard, I add in simple balance work - standing on the squishy pad or bosu ball, maybe while moving around one leg or my arms, maybe with weights.
 The clocks are essential. I don't care so much anymore what time it actually is (HA!) but I want to hold myself accountable for how long I'm working out. I use the sweep second hand on the clock a lot. The other clock thing on the right is called a "time timer".  It's a count-down timer, but geared to quick glances.  You manually turn the dial to create a red area representing up to an hour, and then the red area gradually disappears. I understand they are used in preschools for kids that can't tell time ("How long until we do....?").  I was thrilled to see one that looked just like mine being used on TV for timing a school exam. As a very visual person, I love seeing it even just out of the corner of my eye and knowing about how much time there is left.

I also use the calendar for accountability. I mark off how often I'm down there using it as a gym. Glad to report I am going down there.

I've got music and radio there. Still wanted:  a big mirror for checking my form. A few other things to make it nicer - maybe a good white board for posting rotating reminders? I had to write out various routines, and right now those lists are posted on the calendar, as my post-it notes don't stay stuck to the drywall. Once I get those, I'll hang more interesting art.

But I'm just thrilled to say I have and am actually using my home gym. There is still the issue of getting myself off the couch and down there to start, sigh, but that's a topic for another day.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Never heard of but now desperately need that clock!
Liz