Sunday, July 7, 2019

Need Some Focus

I was puttering around this morning... Read the news on the ipad, put away a couple of things lying out in the kitchen, went out in the yard with the dog and pulled a few weeds, came in and decided that my mental lists need to be written down. I poured a new cup of coffee and started moving purposefully towards the computer, to crank it up and get things written down. I thought of the top priority item on the list. As if taken over by an alien source, I put down the coffee and started moving in the direction of the tape measure to start the first project.

Wait! What am I doing? Am I going to sit down and commit to making a list, or am I just going to plunge into the next top-of-mind project? This is how my days have gone, drifting from thing to thing. I am not frittering away all my time - things are getting done. Often, there is no question what is the most important thing to be doing (eg, installing the new smoke detector). But I'm not prioritizing or being terribly efficient in how I go about this. There is no doubt that some very important things are NOT getting done. The mental list is too long, and some things have to be in order, or at certain times (eg calling to schedule appointments, trips to a certain store).

Y'all know I'm a big fan of self-help books. I read Getting Things Done by David Allen a number of years ago, and a couple of years ago took a training class in how to apply the principles. The big thrust of this is to reduce mental drag and boost productivity by mastering the to-do list. Having mental lists creates mental drag, as the mind constantly says "I have to do this thing!", but says it at a moment you can't actually do it, so you make a mental note and have to put mental resources in remembering it later. If it's on a list, and you can be certain that list will be reviewed at some time in the future, then you can forget completely about it for now. Hence, peace of mind.

So the rest of the book and the training class are all about how to do this, full of practical techniques for capturing the list and working down the list. This is not project management so much as life management. But it's also not time management, or scheduling. Key points: Capture Everything that needs to be done in a limited number of input devices throughout your day (eg, email in-box and pocket notebook, don't also have sticky notes and phone notes and voicemails and other things floating around to remember); have set times during the week you take all the input and either do the thing right then (works for email replies, appointment scheduling, other things that take less than five minutes) or write it down in your single master to-do list. A major tenant is Do Not Maintain Multiple To-Do Lists, because then you have the mental drag of finding and looking at all your to-do lists. Many nuances about then working down the to-do list, what tool to use as the to-do list, how to code the to-do list. This group is not a fan of prioritizing a to-do list from top to bottom (because just by looking at the list you know what is urgent), but of using tags to group related items both by subject (home maintenance, gardening..., and by aspects of the task (phone call, email, trip to store, wear dirty clothes, how long will it take) which they call "context".

As in all these books, there are nuggets that are useful and have helped me out. I violated the One List tenent by always keeping work and home lists separately. My last couple of years at work were more reactive than planned, and we lived on email, so I just used my work email as my master list for work. For home, I've used various things, physical and of course many apps. Again, this is not detailed project management, but rather how to move through and between the myriad of different projects and tasks that make up life. It's not time management, in that it doesn't tell you how to schedule your day. It's simply ensuring that things you want to get can get done, and not slip through the cracks. But without having to expend mental energy always thinking about it.

Right now, I have notes scrawled around in various places, many things are not on the list at all, and I need to make a better list. Which I set out to do an hour or so ago, and immediately distracted myself into a new task. Then I caught myself in the distraction, went "AHA!" and cranked up the computer and instead of capturing tasks I wrote this post.

The good news is I have TIME. I'll get this figured out. I don't have to be phenomenally productive because I'm not juggling a gazillion things with deadlines. Just things I want to do, and sometimes it doesn't matter if they get done right now, but sometimes it does matter. I need a list.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Right up to the last paragraph, I wanted to say, it’s not a bug, it’s a feature! That being able to do the thing is a new retirement benefit, and lists are because you will be pulled away and have no time.... How fun to do what you want to do!

But you have explained the drift, and I get that, and the summary of getting things done is very useful. Make your list. I was fascinated that it was on the computer and not your phone. Do you email it to yourself? You won’t, I would think, be on the computer as much...

I am turning over options of productivity now. I cut loose my trainee, handed in reports, have no speaking gigs on horizon, and my work now will be much less interactive. I need to set some parameters terms for different computer tasks, knowing that if I stay at one thing too long, I will distract myself and not get things done until I jolt out of it and scramble, which would not be optimal.

Also Peter has agreed to go to the Y, which is going to be seismic around here. While ultimately exercise will give him more energy, I need to scale expectations for house tasks so he still has down time with the loss of exercise hours. Luckily, I am really sick of house tasks, and we are pretty broke for a while. Keeping up with weeding my newly improved yard is a pain (though it reinforces the need to squat and lunge) and I am toying with pushing myself outside for a few minutes to weed once or twice a day to break up the computer time. I have no fear of being absorbed into doing too much of it. We shall see.

Fun to be inspired by you starting something new while I am starting something new. Also, tipping toward patriarchy smashing for you after this weekend, some of the comments on the women’s team were just vile. Grr.
Liz

Nan S said...

Yay, Peter and the Y!!!!

Re: computer lists and software tools: Of course whatever software I pick to do the list will live in the cloud and sync between the computer, the phone, and the iPad! I could do that with an ordinary spreadsheet stored on Google Drive or Evernote, but I’m going more elaborate. I have in the past used ToDoist, which is free, and also allows you to create a new item via email or even verbally to the Amazon Echo. But right now, I’m using Trello, which is much more visually oriented and kind of a project management system developed by software developers for software developers. I have apps on the Apple devices and use it on the web on the computer. The computer is much easier to type into than either of the little things.

I’m sticking my toe in political waters. commented on a blog by a conservative economist, on immigration jeez, what a firestorm/shitshow!

New patterns, new habits, new rhythms. I like it!

KCF said...

You have my rapt attention. Rapt, I tell you. I am living vicariously through you, my friend.

So much of me aches to be back in the life you are in now. I mean, I obvi had to hustle up work, and not just occasional work, but real work and then had to do said work, but, oh, I was a mistress of my time and I had the work/home thing fine-tuned to a well-oiled machine.

But new milieus require new systems, for sure. Took me the better part of 2 years to come up with how to handle the multiplicity of my many work projects compared to the chunkiness of my finite freelance ones. I won't bore you with the ins and outs of my work productivity (and I went through several evolving systems and have no doubt the systems will continue to fine-tune), but I totally appreciate the discombobulation of new circumstances for which you don't yet have the infrastructure.

Keep writing--I am truly your biggest fan of these posts!