Sunday, September 9, 2018

It Turns Out I Need Rules

My long struggle for mindful eating resulting in gaining a significant amount of weight!  Eating mindfully cannot mean eating impulsively. I need rules and planning or else the pounds pack on.

And yes, I care about those pounds packing on. I feel worse, I feel fat, my clothes don't fit, my knees and back go out. And yes, I can see it in the mirror or in photos.

So I'm back on a conscious plan to lose weight. This means a restricted set of food choices and lots of planning. My experiment with being an omnivore has not gone well. It's so much easier to eat what most of America eats, building a meal on bread, potatoes, pasta, or rice. Well, that really doesn't work well for me. I tried adding beans and more starchy vegetables such as sweet potatoes and winter squash into the mix, and that hasn't worked out so well either. The food tastes great! It's very filling. But, I'm hungry again too soon, and portion control goes out the window.

So back to basics on my menus. At least two meals a day have to be built around leafy greens, preferably all three. Meat in decent but not obscene portions (I just read - from Jane Brody, of all people - that older adults need much more protein than younger ones.) Cooking at home, and limited eating out.  This is the basics of Atkins. What I have found is when I actually do this, my appetite falls and so it becomes easier to stick to the plan. Less often do I have the cravings.

So it's been about a month, and I've arrested what is actually a three-year increase in my weight, since I hit my goal weight and allowed a bounce back up.  I can do a month; I've often done a big push for about a month. Then, I fall off the wagon and bounce back up. I'm at that falling off point now.

So that's where the mindfulness and other psychologically-based strategies come in. I still need to plan, I still need to focus on veggies and I still need to eschew starches. But I can't count on the diet to prevent all cravings. I also need to avoid an emotional feeling of being deprived, of feeling I'm missing out.

Here's some of what I'm doing:
I have a late afternoon slump in energy that has led to snacking on crappy chocolate candy at work in the afternoons. Physical problem: very real drop in energy, sometimes (but not always) genuinely hungry too. The mindful techniques I've learned include really checking in with my body to see if I'm hungry. Further, on days in the past when I've given in to the craving, staying in touch to find out, "what am I actually getting from this?". When I eat a bunch of candy, often it feels bad. However, when I eat one or two or three pieces, sometimes it just feels good- gives me energy. There is remorse, but no bodily bad feeling. After struggling with this for months, what has worked for the last couple of months are two new strategies: I bought a small Keurig coffeemaker for my office, and I'm careful to bring a really good, but appropriate, snack. I showed off a wide variety of snacks in a previous post, but that was when I was more omnivorous than I am now.  Now, it's usually macademia nuts, and sometimes guacamole. I've found that caffeine and fat and salt work. Cheese would also work, I bet.

In the month I've been back focused on actually dropping weight, I've had a few social engagements. I've been able to bend my rules, without throwing them completely out the window. I'm not one for more than one or two drinks, ever. So that's fine. When there is a dessert I want, I have some of it. Based on results so far, this limited indulgence has not derailed the actual weight loss.
Eight Dove squares last night

But last night was a problem. With all hatches battened down against a steady deluge, I was restless, bored, under exercised, and jazzed from reading a too exciting book too late into the night. I keep Dove chocolates in my refrigerator, and often have had one in the evening after supper. Sometimes, more than one, and that is a very slippery slope. I can't allow auto-pilot to just munch. I have to go get them one at a time, and ask myself, feel in my gut, each time: do I really want this? As I stayed awake to make sure our hero was going to come out ok, I kept making trips to the fridge and coming back with another Dove square. For accountability, I piled up all the wrappers. There were way too many this morning. I did in fact feel bad in my body before I went to bed - I knew I had messed up. But I was in the "I just don't care" mode. Sigh. What has gotten me in the past is sheer exhaustion, from thinking about this all the time.

I feel like I'm on the right track, but for how long? I beginning to think I'll never hit a weight balance where I can eat the diet I think is normally healthy, whole grains and beans and plenty of fruit as a regular part of my diet, unless I'm willing to weigh a lot more than I do now. I see lots of leafy greens in my future. Good thing I love salads.

7 comments:

Liz said...

What’s the title of that book?

Peter and I had a box of chocolates (it’s our anniversary). On one hand, it was nostalgic and fun, on the other, it was crappy chocolate. In some ways I definitely have gotten more mindful - I want my splurges to count!

Weighing in this morning, not looking forward to it. I have dropped exercise quantity from 5-6 days a week to 2-3 days a week and am feeling it.

Metabolism is a bitch.

Liz

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

LOL to Liz, metabolism is a bitch. Nan, thank you for this thoughtful post. Yes, leafy greens as a meal starter sounds good. I also love the coffee and mandamia idea (fat and salt) for work afternoons. I def need afternoon pickmeups and avoid regular coffee after 5 or I will be tossing and turning at nite. Punch got dismissed from the gymnastics team last nite for unkind behavior. She and I were both really sad and I ate over it, alone at kitchen table until Figgy came in and I cried to her. Dan in TN. I mindlessly ate saltines w butter and sweet jam, drank milk, ate cereal, and granola, drank chocolate milk. Not good for me. I am learning to not eat over life’s turns but I still struggle. Love Alice

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

P.s Punch told me not to tell anyone except dan about gymnastics, not even Figgy, so I just disregarded that to tell you.

Liz said...

Alice, what a tough lesson! Punchy is lucky to have such an empathetic mom to comfort her, and help her learn to be her best self. And the food thing is what it is. In the moment, you could have had a lot worse reactions. Today, Scarlett, is another day.
Liz

Liz said...

Ps happy last week of this horrible FY18, Nan!
Liz

KCF said...

oof, Alice, tough news. But maybe for the long-term good. Little one def needs to see there are consquences to her actions and hurting others is not a long-term solution to the hurt she feels inside. I'm sorry though. That is a tough thing for all. xoxo

Liz said...

Ps happy last week of this horrible FY18, Nan!
Liz