Thursday, September 14, 2017

Waiting at the Stoplight

Three acts in 120 seconds

Act 1. 
The light turns red as I reach it. I put my foot down on the pavement to balance. To my left on the sidewalk corner are two middle school boys, one tall and one short, who seem to be waiting. Behind me to my right, visible in my wing mirror, are three kids about the same age, two boys and a girl, also waiting. It is the second day of the school year.


Act 2.
The tall boy on the corner walks to the group of three kids, hesitatingly at first, then more confidently. He says something to them and they talk quietly. The short boy is looking at his phone, steadily, to all appearances totally absorbed.


Act 3. 
The short boy starts walking to school, staring at his phone. The four kids behind me are still waiting, for what? The light changes. I drive on.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Ok, I have angst for the short boy, apparently ditched and heading to school alone. Thank goodness I am out of middle school! Hang in there, mystery boy, we all end up walking alone anyway, you will be fine!
Liz

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Closely observing life from perch on scooter...I like that you can....